Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you hide (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-hide-t265729.html)

AngeliaNR 05-29-2015 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas (Post 7210531)
Thee and me, Onebyone! This is the 21st century, for goodness sake. I ran for school board several years ago and when we were placing yard signs, it astounded me that some women whom I knew supported me, had to ask their husband's permission to display a sign. I lost the election, but I learned so much about 21st century husband/wife relationships that I am still appalled. froggyintexas

I understand your point, but I would, out of courtesy, consult my husband about a political sign in the yard, just as I would expect him to consult me--of course, when it comes to politics, we are polar opposites. I'm not under his thumb, nor is he under mine, but we both live here. :)

sewbeadit 05-29-2015 08:20 PM

Beadywoman, I totally agree. I had a friend once that hid everything because of fear, yet her husband bought anything he wanted, there are those marriages and it isn't funny, but for the most part this is a fun thread, even though I say so myself.lol

My husband was the one that started me buying yardage for quilts instead of using scraps of clothing etc, to quilt with, so he is to blame.hehehehehe

sewbeadit 05-29-2015 08:25 PM

MaryFrang, that is so funny, but also very smart to use as a wrapping.

Michelekolt 05-30-2015 03:00 AM

No hiding here either. My husband knows I quilt and craft. Yesterday he sold one of my quilts to his coworker. For our vacation fund.

katydidkg 05-30-2015 03:36 AM

I don't have to hide fabric, hubby understands my need for quilt shop trips.

mjsylvstr 05-30-2015 03:57 AM

why hide it......whoever is only going to see it when I start producing whatever it is ....... besides my hubby drives me to the store and sits in the car doing his puzzles while I shop..........of course, there are times when I have those extra coupons and he goes along with me to purchase additional fabric.....so what's this thing about hiding??????

sassysews2 05-30-2015 05:24 AM

am I the only one??

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr (Post 7211236)
why hide it......whoever is only going to see it when I start producing whatever it is ....... besides my hubby drives me to the store and sits in the car doing his puzzles while I shop..........of course, there are times when I have those extra coupons and he goes along with me to purchase additional fabric.....so what's this thing about hiding??????

Yes, I hide, or at least avoid bringing it in the house until he's asleep or in bed. I have my own money, spend conservatively, no appreciable debt and quilt. He has no hobbies, spending habits, no outside interests beyond the remote control, no vices, yet he continually harps on me about what I want, spend, buy, or shop for. He wants total control. I have my own car, he is SO, & acts like he's handicapped. Diabetic, on oxygen, overweight, and no interest in doing anything about it, if he could. So he resents anything that takes me away from my caretaking of him. I love fabric and sewing machines, too. Have sent packages to DD across town often to avoid an issue with something I've bought. DSIL thinks that's funny. It wasn't always this way, only since I retired (9 yrs). My ex never questioned what I wanted/bought. He had his own different faults.

SueSew 05-30-2015 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 7211075)
I don't hide fabric, but I hide my good scissors!

DITTO - back when my kids were still home. :)

ladydukes 05-30-2015 06:20 AM

My neighbor has been de-stashing, so she brings me tubs and tubs of fabric as she goes through it. I wash all of my fabric, so for the past few days I've been washing, drying, pressing if necessary, and folding it onto comic boards. Since I am washing all of my newly acquired stash from my neighbor, I decided to wash some other fabrics I already had. It turned into quite a drawn out process. My husband asked me yesterday, "is the fabric that just came in the mail (since I just received a package from TQG)?" I laughed and told him no, it is the fabric from my neighbor and some I had in my sewing room closet. I guess he was getting worried!

maviskw 05-30-2015 06:41 AM

My husband is an enabler. He is a math PhD, and sometimes takes blocks that I have laid out on the table and changes them around to something he would like better. Usually it is something that is impossible to do with those particular blocks. Later I put them together like I had planned and he never says anything about it. He loves my quilts, especially the ones with geometric patterns.

In our town, lots of couples go grocery shopping together, especially on Tuesday morning when seniors get 5% off. We have a lot of Hispanics here, and they often go shopping as a family. When DH and I go shopping, he takes his cart and I take mine. Sometimes I drop something into his cart if I see him as we walk around. When I'm finished, I get out my cell phone and call him on his. Then we go check out together. That cell phone is a God-send.