Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you keep a hand stitching/quilting project near by? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-keep-hand-stitching-quilting-project-near-t194827.html)

nygal 07-16-2012 11:59 AM

Do you keep a hand stitching/quilting project near by?

I finished a Yo Yo quilt recently and I got so use to watching tv and hand stitching that I find I am looking for another project to work on while I sit and watch my grandson or watch tv.

I should get back out the counted cross stitch project I set aside while doing the Yo Yo quilt!

Do you have a hand stitching/quilting project that you are working on?

phranny 07-16-2012 12:02 PM

Yes! I have a stamped cross stitch quilt top I'm working on, picked up at a yard sale for $1.00. When we go on a road trip, I take it with me as well. I don't expect to finish it soon, it's a long term project, but I need something to keep my hands busy while watching TV.

QuiltingHaven 07-16-2012 12:16 PM

Okay, I used to do needlepoint before I started quilting (over 45 completed framed needlepoint products ranging in size from 8 x 10 to 28 x 36 and every size in between). Now, I make sure I have a hand quilting project at hand in the car for long trips and by my chair in the evening while watching TV or listening to a book on cd. I just love retirement ;-)

kathdavis 07-16-2012 12:21 PM

I do a lot of hand embroidering when I'm watching something on TV with the family. This way I'm in the room with them instead of in my sewing closet. Not sure what I'll do with all of it, but I enjoy it.

nycquilter 07-16-2012 12:39 PM

I hand applique while watching TV in the evenings. Right now, I have two projects going. One is a large, Hawai'ian quilt, about 108x108. That lives on the chair by the TV (usually set to Yankee games!). The other is for traveling and fits on my lap.

tesspug 07-16-2012 12:42 PM

I usually crochet, unless I have a quilt that needs binding.

ckcowl 07-16-2012 12:48 PM

yes---i always have a hand stitching project or 3 going- my english paper piecing project is my (travel) hand piece these days- i also sit & work on bindings, wool applique blocks, needle turn applique blocks- or i wrap clothesline for making baskets/bowls- or i hook on my wool hooked rug- or my locker hooking projects....always working on something.

susie-susie-susie 07-16-2012 12:53 PM

Yes--I have Cathedral Window blocks to take with me in the car. I have been working on them for 5-6 years so far. If I don't do hand work when I watch TV, I fall asleep. I don't work on the CW blocks at home though.
Sue

gollytwo 07-16-2012 01:19 PM

Yes, two
1. hand piecing Jo Morton's Snowball in Harvest with repro fabrics; I changed her dimensions to 4 1/2" square with 2" corners
2. English paper piecing Dresden Plate

In the past I did a Grandmother's Flowergarden - English pp - a crib quilt for my oldest grandson using fabrics from all his family- woven cotton clothes. He's 20 and I still haven't finished it. I will for his first born someday
and a Cathedral Windows, which I hated doing and gave away all I'd done before stopping.

Pat625 07-16-2012 01:29 PM

Right now my hand/tv/travel project is a Cathedral window. As soon as I finish that I will be working on a Hickory Nut quilt. I just ordered the templates from Hickory Hill Quilts, and they arrived today! I can't wait to begin working on this! i have been excited about this project since I saw the tutorial on here!