Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you keep a quilt journal?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-keep-quilt-journal-t196066.html)

pollyjvan9 07-29-2012 07:23 AM

I started a keeping photos of my quilts from the very first one. I am so glad that I did. I have all the pics on my computer but I really like to thumb through my very messy album. It seems that I can see how much I have progressed since I started in '05 or '06. I try to keep a photo of the front, back and if it has a "special" label a photo of that. Someway the very first quilt I made, which was a cotton crazy quilt for my mom, went missing and I had not taken a picture of it, at least I didn't think I did, and then one day I was looking at photos that had been developed but that I had never taken out of the folder and lo and behold there was a picture of that quilt. I had taken it to my youngest daughters house to show her and her youngest was playing with it on the floor. Pretending he was asleep, you know how they do. He, my mom and the quilt are all gone now, but at least I have a photo.

DebraK 07-29-2012 07:36 AM

lol, same here, but every once in awhile I let family or a friend in.

newbee3 07-29-2012 07:45 AM

Yes I do I take pics of my quilts they are digital but I do have them on a usb stick I take to the store and print out for a small price. I also try to include what fabrics were used and the pattern used I usually add some samples of the fabrics for further refrence. Who the quilt was made for the batting content and who quilted of done by someone else or myself

spokanequilter 07-29-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5402524)
Then it seems I want to sew, more than sit and document!
I must make the point of getting copies of the pics ... and then get at the task of putting them together!! :D

Me too - when I'm home I would rather sew and document. We are going to be camping (RV style) for ten days starting the end of this week, so I am taking my journal and all the loose photos I have and I have promised myself I will spend some time each day at the picnic table updating my journal. We'll see....

WilliP 07-29-2012 09:33 AM

I have started journaling again, picked up a leather bound journal and just jotted my current project in it. Sample of the main focal fabric and a photo of blocks that I find challenging or espeically interesting. Will have a final photo at the end of the project. A few sketches of my ideas for original blocks. I am recreating a few from photos as to year and fabrics used. I also have another journal that is more a workbook to try out design elements and total quilt pattern ideas. Dabbling a bit in design to augment retirement perhaps someday down the road.

WilliP

gramajo 07-29-2012 10:45 AM

Yes, I do. I got a quilt journal book a number of years ago. I keep photo, name of quilt, pattern name, size, who it's for and why. Also if it has won any awards. Not very detailed compared to a lot of you, but it reminds me of all I've done. Hopefully, it will be a record for my GKs & GGKs. One DD is a quilter, so she knows what I've made--I bounce ideas off her, she usually has good suggestions. And she also layers them for me.

I did Counted Xstitch and needlepoint for years & kept a journal of all those projects. Hmm,I wonder what happened to it.

joyce888 07-29-2012 11:06 AM

I've tried but must admit I've fallen behind. I've taken pics and saved on hard drive but really need to print them out and write the info before I forget everything.

BellaBoo 07-29-2012 11:37 AM

I don't journal and never kept a diary. I barely remembered to keep my kids baby books updated. I take a picture and store it online. It's accessible to my family to view anytime. I took digital pictures of the photographs from when I first started quilting, remember having to wait for the film to be use up to get them developed? so glad those days are over with.

SouthPStitches 07-29-2012 11:48 AM

I almost always remember to take a picture, nothing more than that, however.

annthreecats 07-29-2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen (Post 5402468)
I have a blog, it's online for all to see but most of my quilting projects go in there

This is what I do. I use this as my project diary for my knitting, crocheting, sewing and quilting.