Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you keep a quilt journal?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-keep-quilt-journal-t196066.html)

carslo 07-30-2012 10:18 AM

I too have my a blog online that serves as a journal of all my quilting adventures! Check it out you might get some new ideas.
http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Janet

IAmCatOwned 07-30-2012 10:21 AM

I haven't met a single person who regretted starting a quilting journal - any kind of journal. They all regret not starting one earlier and I am one of them. I started mine in 2000, about 14 years after I started quilting. I've been bad about including gift quilts, but I'm going to be better about that now.

My journal was a simple blank book with a ring binder (so it can expand with the photos). I also use a blog and keep photos on line. If a tornado hits the house, at least I have the photos to remember by. It has room for about 110 quilts or so (2 pages per quilt), so only about half full. I include a photo of the front and a closeup to show the quilting. I used to do a photo of the back, but I really want more documentation of my improved quilting skills. I try to include info about any new or improved technique as well as size of quilt, type of fabric and who got the quilt.

k9dancer 07-30-2012 11:25 AM

quilt workbook

My quilt journals are more workbooks: sketches to scale on graph paper, colorways, fabrics used and notes as I make it. I take digital photos, but have not yet printed those to add to the workbooks. good idea to do that, though.

oldquilter 07-30-2012 11:58 AM

I do take pictures of each and every project I make. I have a folder in my documents on the computer, just for those pictures. That's about as organized as I can get, or find the time to do.

Quilter 57 07-30-2012 12:29 PM

I keep a Quilt Journal, Actually I have 2, one is different notes for different projects, what fabirc I used, size and where it went. The other journal is pictures with little notes by the pictures. When I quilt for my friend I take a pic to show what I did on it. I am hopeing also that someday when I am gone the kids and grandkids can look back and see all the quilts I made and my comments. I think its a good thing. I like to go back and look at all the pictures of what I have made. Its totally worth it. I suggest to all you newbies you should start one right away. It will be good to look back on your projects when you first start and when you have a few years under your belt.

pyffer3 07-30-2012 12:35 PM

Ohhhhh. This is a great idea. I am working on my first ever quilt. I purchased those pre-stamped cross stitch blocks because I have always been a cross-stitcher and decided to combine that with a new hobby. Anyway, I have the blocks sewn together and a border around it (all hand-sewn) and I am about half done with the cross stitch part. I can see mistakes, but I am not going to beat myself up over them....just learn and move on. I can't wait to start a scrap book with this first quilt. Thanks for the idea and now I know why I joined this quilting forum!

Latrinka 07-30-2012 12:44 PM

No, I haven't kept one, but have been thinking about starting one! I think it's a great idea!

ladyredhawk 07-30-2012 02:59 PM

I love keeping a journal, I look back and alot of them i forgot I even done them. I also love keeping one to remember who all in the family I have one for. you wouldn't think you would forget but when you start giving them away it's easy to forget what quilt went where.

helenquilt 07-30-2012 03:18 PM

No I have not but regret that. when ask how many quilts I have made I count to 200 or more and just shake my head. I started quilting in 1973 and did several for others. Sure wish I had kept a journal then

karate lady 07-30-2012 04:28 PM

I have pictures and write a little bit about who it is for and when. Since I have only been doing this for a lyear, it isn't very big. smile...fun to look at now and then.