Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you know this block? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-know-block-t130109.html)

virtualbernie 06-13-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
HST's give me hives. :mrgreen: I don't know what my problem is, but I can't do a block full of HST's to save my life.

I signed up for a BOM that's nothing but HST's. I use exactly the same Triangulations printouts for the large and the small, I use exactly the same very scant 1/4" seam allowance and still, they come out different sizes, with floating points or points chopped off... how goofy is that?

I LOVE Eleanor Burns' flying geese rulers. I can't seem to mess those up. :D

I haven't tried Triangulations printouts but have used Print and Sew Triangle Magic from QuiltPro. These work fine for me. :-D

lllog 06-13-2011 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is just a simple 6 block using all half triangles, as illustrated below. There is no reason to be afraid of it.

Lanny

virtualbernie 06-13-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by lllog
This is just a simple 6 block using all half triangles, as illustrated below. There is no reason to be afraid of it.

Lanny

I agree :thumbup:

thepolyparrot 06-13-2011 07:52 AM

Oh, *if only* my sewn blocks looked like the printouts! LOL!

I've been doing the Barbara Brackman Civil War Block of the Week and it's become sort of a joke for me.

It's like that old story - a little boy is irrationally terrified of latkes - he screams and runs when he sees them.

The grandmother takes him into the kitchen and shreds potatoes. See, nothing to be afraid of? No, potatoes are good. She grates onion and says, "See, nothing to be afraid of," and again he agrees. Flour, eggs, salt, all the same - nothing to be afraid of. He helps her stir the bowl.

Gets the frying pan of hot oil ready and he helps her drop in the spoonsful of batter. Nothing to be afraid of. They watch them sizzle and the wonderful scent fills the air.

She turns the first one over, golden brown.

"ACK!!!!" He jumps down and runs away, screaming, "LATKES, LATKES!!!!"

:) I'm determined to do HST's well at some point, which is the reason I signed up for this BOM that's nothing but HST's. But, so far, they're my latkes. :)

thepolyparrot 06-13-2011 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been wanting to do a pink and chocolate quilt for a while, now and this pattern set me off.

I may convert it to those blankety blank HST's and make this for more practice. :)

CW repros - double pinks and reds
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210875[/ATTACH]

virtualbernie 06-13-2011 08:20 AM

I've been wanting to do a pink and chocolate quilt for a while, now and this pattern set me off.

I may convert it to those blankety blank HST's and make this for more practice. :)

When I first started making HST using a program similar to Triangulations, I was using scissors to cut out the hst's. I now use a ruler and a very sharp rotary cutter. I also added TrueGrips to my ruler because I found that my ruler slipped on the paper. That has made a world of difference in my accuracy!

MrsM 06-13-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Originally Posted by lllog

Lanny

I agree :thumbup:

I love when a block can be broken down into easier sections. Thanks!

emerald46 06-13-2011 11:04 AM

Once I realized how versatile HSTs are, I learned to love doing them and mine got better in the process.

Dolly's sister 06-13-2011 12:43 PM

I love this quilt, what is the other block called?

thepolyparrot 06-13-2011 12:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
I love this quilt, what is the other block called?

It's the same block - I just colored it differently and put the lights and darks in the opposite positions. :)