Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you know this pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-know-pattern-t190063.html)

HELA46 05-27-2012 07:30 AM

It is called Hunters Star.

Friday1961 05-27-2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by bossross (Post 5245488)
I checked out the links and patterns everyone suggested and found that there are two versions. One is made using trapizods (and they sell a special ruler for this pattern). The quilt I orginally made (and posted above) was made with half square triangles, not the trapizods and I tracked that pattern down to Fons & Porter. It was in an old magazine, but they still sell the pattern online. The half square triangle pattern was super easy because you can use the thangles type paper. I'm already in my quilting room sorting through my fat quarters! Can't wait to start sewing. :)

This was my first impression, too, from looking at your beautiful quilt. HSTs. (Although they are not my friends!). But they are probably more work than using the trapezoids. The tutorial posted by the woman in Russia makes it look super easy....once you get those trapezoids cut, which may not be as easy as they look, although she said she did not use a special ruler, just a triangle.

Either way, your quilt is really gorgeous and striking, and has inspired me, like many others, apparently. This one goes on my list.

Thanks for the photo and the inspiration!

Marilyn

kbatky 05-27-2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer (Post 5246117)
Do you know what issue the pattern the quilt was in for Fons and Porter? I have their books for abt. 10 yrs. Thanks

It is in the Nov/Dec 2005 issue, p56.

grandme26 05-27-2012 09:44 AM

I love this pattern but have not had the time to make it. I now have a lot of FQ and could make a scrappy.

Suzanne57 05-27-2012 10:37 AM

I've never seen a scrappy Hunter's Star. sigh. Another one for my bucket list, too. I hope mine turns out as pretty as yours.

Suzanne57 05-27-2012 10:39 AM

Got to fix the signature

Delilah 05-27-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5245050)
Is it really easy to make? I've always wanted to make one but thought it looked kinda futzy to do. Hmmmm... something else to add to my to-do list?

I made one using Roolen's method and it absolutely ROCKS. Am getting ready to teach this method to a guild and am using 2" strips and cutting the trapezpids between the 1.25 and 3.25 marks on the Companion Ruler, and the triangles are cut from 5.75" squares cut once diagonally. The first time I made this quilt I cut the strips too small (1.5") and it was more trouble than I wanted, even though the quilt turned out beautifully. After the units are sewn I still have to square them up but this method sure beats paper piecing, using templates, or any other method I have seen.

Jingle 05-27-2012 04:18 PM

All I know is it sure is beautiful.

lubberfarmgirl 05-27-2012 04:20 PM

I made this with batiks! Love yours also!

nannyrick 05-27-2012 04:35 PM

How pretty!!! I love it.