Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you KNOW what's in your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-know-whats-your-stash-t217561.html)

kateyb 03-28-2013 07:52 AM

My stash is organized by color on shelves so I can see what I have. UFO's are in numbered small totes or on shelves and I have a master list of what is in/on each tote/shelf.

alwayslearning 03-28-2013 08:35 AM

Like Jo C, I recently rearranged my fabric, so I have a pretty good grip on it now. However, I do have to say I was introduced to some fabric that I do not remember every buying, but glad I have it.

quiltstringz 03-28-2013 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 5960160)
Some people do crossword puzzles or sudoku to keep their mind sharp.
I have memorized all the pieces in my stash to exercise my brain.
It's a full time job.

I am going with this one!
To be honest NO - I am in the process of wrapping/organizing and one of the things we did when wrapping was to measure yardage. We punched holes in our comic boards and then hung an inventory tag (got them at staples) noting the yardage. That way we know at a glance if it is enough for our project or not and when we use some we can just update the yardage. this is taking long enough - I don't think I am going to keep a running inventory.

JudyTheSewer 03-28-2013 12:33 PM

I rarely use more than 1/2 yard of any certain fabric in a quilt. So, no, I have no idea what fabrics are in my stash.

However, they are organized so that if I want a red, civil war reproduction print I can put my fingers on where it would be if I have it. If I don't have it - oh well - pick out something else. Same thing with all of the fabric types (flannels, blue blenders, neutrals, large multi-colored florals, holiday, denim, yellow check, black & white, white & black, solid green, etc..)

When I see a fabric in a store that I like I just pick up a yard or two and add it to my stash. That way, I always have fabric that I like on hand.

I can tell by the thickness of the fabric wad in my stash if it will be big enough for borders. I also piece the backs of large quilts so I don't need large yardage for that either.

As many have said, trying to keep inventory seems very time consuming for the number of fabrics I have.

luvstoquilt 03-28-2013 01:09 PM

I sort by colors, big container of scraps and holiday stuff...now do I know what is in there? Yes I do!!! Surprises!!! If I made a list I would probably just lose it!

mom-6 03-28-2013 01:10 PM

I don't have any sort of list but I do have a general idea of what I have and what I'm low in or missing. For instance at the moment I need to get more of several blenders. Got a couple of gold family ones last time I went shopping. Will be looking for blues next.

Rose S. 03-28-2013 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 5960160)
Some people do crossword puzzles or sudoku to keep their mind sharp.
I have memorized all the pieces in my stash to exercise my brain.
It's a full time job.

Oh, this is a priceless reply! You just made my day!

Rose S. 03-28-2013 01:19 PM

My stash is in plastic totes...for the most part. I do have one of those 5 drawer plastic things...the kind from Walmart.

I have a pretty good idea of what I have, though at any given moment I might not think of something. All except my batiks...I have a good stash of them....but since I have just collected them and not used them so far, don't remember what all I have in those.

ghostrider 03-28-2013 01:22 PM

I know pretty much everything that's in my stash without any kind of list. I don't obsess about organizing fabric. Anything I didn't buy as a full bolt is in 26-qt clear bins by color (prints, solids and batiks separately), and it never takes me more than a few minutes to find exactly what I'm looking for. I have no idea how, but if I see a fabric, I know immediately whether or not I already have it.

loisf 03-28-2013 01:39 PM

I have been quilting a little less that 2 years. I've made about 20 projects, and I have the scraps and short yardage left over from them. I have them sorted by color in stacked drawers made originally for scrapbooking, but that work great for this. Really small scraps that are good for nothing else, I cut into 1.5" squares for a postage stamp quilt that I hope to make someday.

I usually have all the fabric for 2 or 3 unstarted projects on hand, but I never buy a piece of fabric without a special project in mind. It would drive me crazy to have a lot on hand for no exact purpose. I would constantly feel the pressure of all that unused, unplanned-for fabric. Isn't it funny how we all have different reactions. A large stash is a comfort to so many of you, and it would be stressful for me.