Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-let-your-pets-your-sewing-room-if-you-do-how-do-they-help-t102726.html)

cmw0829 02-24-2011 01:05 PM

I'm always mystified when I see a "for sale" ad (here or elsewhere) stating that the animals aren't allowed in the sewing room. How do you keep them out?

If I tried to keep my cats out of the room, I'd hear nothing but wailing and scratching! They have the full run of the room and often try to help.

My avatar likes to supervise my ironing and help the thread move off the spool as I sew. She likes to squeeze under the closed cabinet and make sure the foot control is OK. My other cat just likes to lay on the chair.

Jim's Gem 02-24-2011 01:08 PM

I have dogs. They come in every once in a while but have been trained to know what "go Away" means

Raggiemom 02-24-2011 01:09 PM

My cats like to be involved in every aspect of quilting. In fact, one of them grabbed 3 pearl headed pins from the magnetic holder today and took off running with them! They would have a fit if I locked them out.

bunniequilter 02-24-2011 01:11 PM

Hubby just gave me a chee-wawa puppy...too lazy to check the spelling right now. Her name is Lucy and she loves my sewing room. She tries to steal anything she can get ahold of and stash it in her bed. Couldn't keep her out anymore than I can keep Hubby or kids out.

SuzyQ 02-24-2011 01:12 PM

I don't sew in a room but in a nook at the top of the stairs and my dog comes upstairs with me and hangs out while I sew. Sometimes he "helps" by trying to eat all the little snippets of fabric that hit the floor :roll: but most of the time he just makes sure the throw rug isn't getting away :lol:

Susan

KatFish 02-24-2011 01:13 PM

The dog knows he can't come in my sewing room. So he lays across the door way and keeps the cat from coming in. The door is shut when I'm not in the room.

luvnquilt 02-24-2011 01:15 PM

My dog likes to lay under my sewing table when I'm working in the room- which is fine unless she gets comfortable before I start using the foot pedal- then she grumbles at me when she has to move LOL.

Liz aka Helen 02-24-2011 01:15 PM

All my cats (9) have to test anything and everything I make, the Chihuahuas just want to be loved and held while I try and sew. I have learned to at least keep my spools of thread and bobbins in a safe place.

oatw13 02-24-2011 01:17 PM

My room doesn't have any doors. The kitty comes in and she likes to sleep in my sewing chair while I am on the computer. Otherwise she doesn't get into anything in here. Weird, I know. But she just doesn't. She doesn't sleep on the fabric or anything. Well, once in awhile she will try to eat a thread from the trash. But I cover them now.

QuiltnCowgirl 02-24-2011 01:18 PM

My oldest cat (15yrs) will come in at regular intervals & squawk at me in his part-Siamese big mouth. So I finally made a bed for him by my chair. Now he peacefully snores away while I sew uninterrupted.

They aren't allowed to free roam on the furniture, but I know they have been on the dining table when I'm not home to investigate my projects. This I know because I had to redo a baby quilt I had laid out & ready to begin sewing. Which they gave me their opinion on by rearranging it for me in what they thought was a better design. :D