Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you like to make quilts? (in the spirit of psychology rather than actual making) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-make-quilts-spirit-psychology-rather-than-actual-making-t299871.html)

mcadwell 01-01-2021 07:16 AM

Let yourself not do anything for awhile and then start making something. You can try anything you'd like to try - you may find whatever you choose to do to be the perfect hobby for you. Don't know until you try.

katiebear1 01-01-2021 09:05 AM

I quilt because I enjoy it and it gives me satisfaction to make something both beautiful and useful. awhile back I decided I wanted to try to learn watercolors and I bought a bunch of supplies and how to books and they are just sitting on one of my shelves in my sewing room. I just can't seem to take the time away from quilting to get started. I used to draw a lot when I was a child and young adult but then marriage and kids and work came along and it all got pushed to the back burner for "someday" Maybe after I finish my current quilt I will try to get started on it. LOL

deborahscanlon 01-01-2021 03:31 PM

Awww Arianna and Alyce, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It must be unbearable especially during the holidays. I'll send positive thoughts and prayers your way. I can't imagine any hobby filling your mind enough to forget. Only thing that I could think of to continue quilting is maybe when you put a quilt label on a finished quilt, it could be in memory of your lost granddaughter or son. Something along the line of: may this quilt warm you like her/his love warmed me. It brings tears to my eyes as I can feel your grief in your words. I'm so sorry for your great loss.

margied 01-10-2021 09:36 PM

Do you like to make quilts?

I love to make quilts!! It takes me forever to decide on what fabrics when I’m using my stash for all or most if the fabric. I love the colors, the piecing and making changes when it hits me, the whole process I hate the quilting part🙃. If I could afford it i would send them all out to be quilted It is my play time and is responsible for what sanity I have left😊

Jordan 01-12-2021 06:42 AM

I have done many crafts and sewing such as making clothing for my children to making items to sell at boutiques and I have done some cross stitch but my eyes got older and I can't see all that well. I took up quilting and find it so relaxing and love working with fabrics. The only craft I didn't enjoy was tole painting.

gillyo 01-13-2021 10:59 PM

I started hand sewing when I was five, machine sewing when I was nine, and quilting at 14. So, I've been doing this kind of work for over fifty years. I've noticed over the years that I sometimes get bored with quilting. I worked as a commercial artist for years so I think I've focused my creativity on my job, and when I got home I had no creative mojo left for quilting. I've found that as long as I keep my creative juices flowing in other ways, when I come back to quilting I slide right back in, but with a new outlook and enthusiasm.

A break now and then is a very positive thing, if only because I have an excuse to buy new fabric because what I have is so dated!

gramma nancy 01-15-2021 05:59 PM

Your post is making me think about the psychology of it all. I never gave it any thought. I just know I get a big kick out of sewing tiny pieces of fabric together. I have given up knitting and needlepoint and clothes sewing in favor of quilting, so I know it's where I belong, but I doubt I could ever identify my motivation.