Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-sew-quilt-kits-t138217.html)

pocoellie 07-17-2011 05:02 AM

I've tried a few kits that I bought at a estate sale and can honestly tell you that I don't care for them, but I figured what the hay, they were cheap at the sale, I certainly wouldn't pay what they want in the store. I prefer to pick and cut my own fabrics.

Annaquilts 07-17-2011 05:09 AM

I am not a kit person but have done some. Often kits do not have the fabric that is pictured so now I double check on that before buying it. Also I have never bought a totally precut kit. I always seem to struggle with directions and or fabric that is too short. Currently I am working on a kit with many Fat Quarters. Eventhough I am struggling with the directions I am pleased to find there is alot of extra fabric so if I have a mistake I am OK. I also really enjoy the planning and designing of a quilt, especially scrappy, including the fabrics so kits usually do not appeal as much to me.

Tinabodina 07-17-2011 05:12 AM

I bought one a month ago when the Bernina shop inside Handcock closed. 50% off, I could not refuse. Haven't started it yet, but it is on my list (just like the other 25 projects) :D

MYWR 07-17-2011 05:16 AM

When we went to Alaska - I bought my first 'kit' since DH really liked it. The directions were horrible !! and the qulity of the fabric was poor - but when all is said and done - it is what he wanted for a wall hanging. SOOO glad I finished that one ! Last time to purchasing a kit - that is for sure !

Kuusistoquilter 07-17-2011 05:19 AM

Yes, I have done several kits. some instructions are better than others. I'm not that good at picking colors and if I find a pattern I like, the fabrics aren't available locally.

lynnsim 07-17-2011 05:21 AM

To me, quilt kits are pricey. But then I love to cut fabric and love to design quilts, like others have said. As a matter of fact, I've been thinking of offering quilt kits to sell. I have several small patterns and lots of stash. Might be my next project.....

amma 07-17-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by SharBear
I've done a few - when picking out fabric combinations wasn't a skill I was comfortable with!

Also had a Flynn laser cut kit that was for a workshop I took - OMGosh! That was easy and fun! Talk about precision cutting!!

I have found Flynn's kits to be awesome too!
The fabrics are as advertised, no missing pieces, precision cut, a pleasure to work with.

Some kits are not precut, they may cut it close on the fabric, and you do run the risk of fabric substitutions...
I guess it is a buyer beware, ask a LOT of questions before buying :D:D:D

anvet12 07-17-2011 09:34 AM

I have bought a few quilt kits but haven't done them yet. I have heard to be careful with kits especially precut ones like Joanne's. My sister just bought a kit from a LQS and is excited that she doesn't have to pick out fabric.

quilt-fanatic 07-18-2011 12:46 AM

This partiular kit was purchased at Hancock's of Paducah for $99.00. Had lots of different fabrics, a panel to cut into pieces, several borders, and lattice look blocks. I have some 'extra' fabric leftover also.

mmdquilts 07-18-2011 01:32 AM

I bought 1 that my DD loved. Directions were so so and we liked the fabric. I usually put together my own kits to use when I am teaching a class.