Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you make "Journals" for your quilts or projects? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-make-journals-your-quilts-projects-t227896.html)

IshtarsMom 08-13-2013 12:44 PM

Do you make "Journals" for your quilts or projects?

I've never had much of an interest in making journals, but with the adventures and misadventures in making this pinwheel quilt for the swing I was thinking how hilarious it could be...later on that is.....LOL It would be interesting to document all that I learned along the way. Wishing now I had that for some of the others...just to walk down memory lane..and what was I thinking? I can see it now...passed to future generations..."Dairy of a Mad Quilter". Yep that was Mema!

Anyway..thinking about it..Regular scrapbook...single...continuous..computer file... What about you?

ckcowl 08-13-2013 12:55 PM

I don't make a separate journal for each quilt- I keep a quilt journal- that contains notes, information about pattern, sketches, swatches, difficulties, good parts, what ever I feel is pertinent to the creating of each quilt- including a couple pictures of the finished project- back, front & detail...some quilts have a paragraph- some have multiple pages- when one journal is full I date it & start a new one.

SueSew 08-13-2013 02:02 PM

I keep the pattern, and with it my notes and sketches or whatever it took to get from pattern to fabrics and whatever I added to the design. One thing I haven't done but should have is to record the techniques. Now I can't remember how I did such-and-such clever thing last year...Maybe a couple photos with notes would do it.I keep a separate book with one page each for a picture or two of the quilt .

Tartan 08-13-2013 02:10 PM

No, too little time and to many on my bucket list. I make a quilt and move on to the next on my list.

Sailorwoman 08-13-2013 02:26 PM

No, but you certainly have me thinking that it is a great idea. We put so much time and love into these quilts that some record of the process for each individual quilt would be nice to have, and also for future family historians.

Nanny's dollface 08-13-2013 04:47 PM

I keep a photo album of the quilts I have made and keep a notebook handy for notes, lessons learned, and tips for future quilts. I include in my notes, tension settings used if I make any changes with a diagram of knobs turned. This has helped me when I forget or can't find the manual for the sewing machine as I infrequently change settings with my machine to piece.

mighty 08-13-2013 05:59 PM

Sounds like it could be fun!

HillCountryGal 08-13-2013 06:01 PM

I do keep a photo album of the quilting projects I've done. It's fun to look at, as I've given most all of them away.

franc36 08-13-2013 06:03 PM

I keep a photo album of all my quilts and a notebook with the pattern for each quilt in page protectors. I also have a journal that I should write in daily; but usually get around to it only a few times a week. In the journal, I note when I oil my Featherweight, information on quilts in progress, when I send a quilt to the LAQ, etc. The journal has been very helpful.

GKSM 08-13-2013 06:07 PM

Sounds like a great idea. I do take pictures of everything but don't document the details.