Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you make "Journals" for your quilts or projects?

Do you make "Journals" for your quilts or projects?

I've never had much of an interest in making journals, but with the adventures and misadventures in making this pinwheel quilt for the swing I was thinking how hilarious it could be...later on that is.....LOL It would be interesting to document all that I learned along the way. Wishing now I had that for some of the others...just to walk down memory lane..and what was I thinking? I can see it now...passed to future generations..."Dairy of a Mad Quilter". Yep that was Mema!

Anyway..thinking about it..Regular scrapbook...single...continuous..computer file... What about you?

Blog Entries
    I don't make a separate journal for each quilt- I keep a quilt journal- that contains notes, information about pattern, sketches, swatches, difficulties, good parts, what ever I feel is pertinent to the creating of each quilt- including a couple pictures of the finished project- back, front & detail...some quilts have a paragraph- some have multiple pages- when one journal is full I date it & start a new one.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I keep the pattern, and with it my notes and sketches or whatever it took to get from pattern to fabrics and whatever I added to the design. One thing I haven't done but should have is to record the techniques. Now I can't remember how I did such-and-such clever thing last year...Maybe a couple photos with notes would do it.I keep a separate book with one page each for a picture or two of the quilt .
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Power Poster
    No, too little time and to many on my bucket list. I make a quilt and move on to the next on my list.

No, but you certainly have me thinking that it is a great idea. We put so much time and love into these quilts that some record of the process for each individual quilt would be nice to have, and also for future family historians.

I keep a photo album of the quilts I have made and keep a notebook handy for notes, lessons learned, and tips for future quilts. I include in my notes, tension settings used if I make any changes with a diagram of knobs turned. This has helped me when I forget or can't find the manual for the sewing machine as I infrequently change settings with my machine to piece.

Sounds like it could be fun!

I do keep a photo album of the quilting projects I've done. It's fun to look at, as I've given most all of them away.

I keep a photo album of all my quilts and a notebook with the pattern for each quilt in page protectors. I also have a journal that I should write in daily; but usually get around to it only a few times a week. In the journal, I note when I oil my Featherweight, information on quilts in progress, when I send a quilt to the LAQ, etc. The journal has been very helpful.

Sounds like a great idea. I do take pictures of everything but don't document the details.

I just bought this program and LOVE IT... called Quilt Album...easy and quick...once you have your pictures taken!
    http://www.quiltalbum.com/

I generally keep notes on what I still need to accomplish on whatever quilts I'm working on but it is more to keep myself on track and to know what still needs to be done on a particular quilt if I haven't worked on it for a while.

Reb
    I did not keep a journal and now regret it. I put one together as best I could. Fortunately I was able to round up many pictures but not all. With 15+ years of quilting I don't recommend starting your journal then. Start one now so you keep your quilts in order and can be rewarded with seeing your progress. Mine is a spiral bound and I wish I had a loose leaf.

Blog Entries
    No, I don't. I have only pictures of the finished quilt. But it is surely a great idea. I'm going to start one...

Let me start by saying no I don't. I wanted to and even got a cute book with pages to document each quilt. Sadly there is nothing in it. I have started taking pictures of my quilts (not all of them). My inspiration was my aunt who had a scrapbook with fabric samples from her wedding dress and the bridesmaids dresses (made by my Grandmother) on display at her 50th wedding anniversary party. The whole scrapbook had cards, etc. I do have the pattern used to make my mother's wedding dress from 73 years ago. My own wedding dress--GONE. I guess I'm not much of a saver.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I make one or two pages for a notebook with sleeves. I put pictures of the quilt and label. I add the thank you if I receive one!!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

I have a folder on my computer for my quilts. I just recently started keeping this information... notes on what and how I did things, pictures, ect.... On the project I am currently working on I actually am trying to keep track of my time and money spent. Its scarey how quick the time and money adds up!!

I'm lucky if I get a photo and write down who received it. I may try to get a few photos as it's being made. So, if anything I end up with one page per quilt.

Keeping a quilt journal is definately on my "Bucket list"
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Quote Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
    Keeping a quilt journal is definately on my "Bucket list"
    I hope your bucket is in better shape than mine...LOL It's got a hole in it and I'm not sure I'll ever get started...so far just pictures and a little bit of info...I seem to get started like a fire and then burn out too quick...do think it would be a worthwhile thing to do.

Thanks everyone for all the replies...I love hearing what everyone's doing...

I usually just take a 'photo of any finished quilt - not much more --- BUT - I am doing a Dear Jane quilt - (169 different 4 1/2" blocks - 52 - 5" x 8" triangles and 4 corner Kites) and I have kept a journal of the date I completed the block - colours used and then added a running total of how many pieces of fabric I had used. I am now adding 1" sashing to each block and sewing them all together. I started this LONG project back in 2007 - and
    now - I am hopefully on the homewood stretch. Here is a link to my design wall if you would care to have a look.
    http://www.dotsbjwall.talktalk.net/

It's one of those things i've always wanted to do but just can't quite fit into my schedule

Quote Originally Posted by GKSM View Post
    Sounds like a great idea. I do take pictures of everything but don't document the details.
    Same here. I'm not into repeating patterns, so this works for me.

I took pictures of every quilt since I started (only about 18 months ago) and my husband is the one who encouraged me to put them in a small photo album/scrap book and that way I can look back at them. So I have done that, put them in the order I made them, wrote a little blurb, who it was for, when it was finished, name of type of quilt (warm wishes, etc). I have at least one pic of front and back and I ask the recipient to send me a pic of them with the blanket so I can add to that page. Once you get started it's not so hard to keep up with. I just send my pictures to walmart and wait for them to arrive in the mail. Much better than when you used to have to take the film in and have it developed and hoped you remembered what was on the roll! Those were the days!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I make notes in a binder. The front of the binder is titled "FAMILY QUILTS". I have patterns with color photos and family names on them. This also includes friends (they're family too). I also have swatches from the selvage edges of the material I'm using or used. These are all in archival sleeves with post it notes and anything else I need or want to note. It is a 3" binder. I also have their birthdays and anniversaries. My husband knows exactly what this binder is for and he also adds notes. If anything happens to me, he can figure this out. he knows how to sew and if he wants to work on something he can. he also is very detail-oriented.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast