Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Civil War Journals BOM

Civil War Journals BOM

Hi! Is anyone else making this quilt? I started it just last week and I'm looking for buddies. The pattern includes instructions to make a full size quilt or you can make 4 smaller quilts.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-27-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: remove copyright images

Hi,
    I just started working on blocks from a book I purchased called "The Civil War Diary Quilt" by Rosemary Youngs. There are 121 different blocks. I am struggling with someone of them, I'd rather not paper peice each block. It is a challenge and if I do 1 block at a time I should eventually get them finished.
    rehrensberger

I just got last year's Civil War BOM pattern in a garage sale. I think it would be great in a scrappy set of civil war fabrics.

I was thinking about it, but they amount of money I figured it was costing me was not worth it. I plan on doing a civil war quilt on my own, with a pattern of course.

Gee, I will try again to reply to your post; the first attempt apparently disappeared into Cyper Space. Yes, I am doing the Civil War Journal and would be happy to compare notes, pictures, hints, etc.,

Received my first packet of material and read over the instructions; love that it is from the children's point of view.

Yes, I have only received the first packet. I am making the full sized quilt and may try to do something to make it even a bit bigger. I am making one using the fabrics provided by my quilt shop and I am making a second full sized one using my own Cival War fabrics. I am done making those first 16 blocks - it is a lot of fun and a beautiful quilt. I have never joined a group to make a quilt and this is really a nice change (a bit more expensive than I am used to but I guess I only live once). I'd love to share progress and notes! I am also on the 2012-2013 Dear Jane thread and making two of those at the same time. Needless to say, I am behind on the DJ!

Yes, please count me in! My first package has arrived but I haven't opened it yet. We are snowbirds and it arrived at home and I am not at home! LOL The second month will have arrived by the time we get home, but I can hardly wait to get my hands on the project.

Blog Entries
    I will do my own to. I have some civil war fabric, need some red's but that's it. I think BOM are pricey for my budget and I also enjoy picking out my fabrics. grace
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I'm doing both the Civil War Quilt Diary and CW love Diary. I think I have 50 blocks done on one and 75 on the other, doing all scrappy civil war fabrics.
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

I am making the Civil War Journal Quilt bom with the KKK's Quilt shop in Hillsboro, Illinois. We cut the middle blocks for the center last week. I could not wait to sew the blocks. Mine are done and I do not get the next part till the middle of February. I'll just have to wait. It will be a beautiful quilt when it is done. I am making the large one.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Civil War Journals BOM

I belong to the same BOM as you. I think I'm making the 4 quilts, but not really sure. I am working on block 3. I would love to communicate with you. This is me 2nd Civil War BOM for me. I love civil war fabric and I love the stories they include. Sometimes I found that the blocks are awfully hard for me to do. If we chat, we could give and get advice. Let me join!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I'm happy to 'meet' all of you! I received the first month just last week. When I saw this pattern I HAD to have it. I'm making a bed size quilt, and 5 smaller quilts as well. It's to honor my great, great grandfather. I thought I'd share the plan I came up with for the smaller quilts. Photo transfers will go where you see the blank areas. I have a photo of my gggrandfather along with some photos from the areas he fought that were taken in 1865. He traveled with Sherman and fought in Atlanta, Vicksburg, etc.

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  143.0 KB

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  178.7 KB

Name:  civilwarquilt-complete.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  83.5 KB

This thread is for people who are making the Civil War Journals quilt. Anyone is welcome to join in with the fun, even if you're not making the Civil War Journals quilt. :~) I'm making 5 smaller quilts and also a the large bed-size quilt. The smaller ones are going to family members.

I really lke the Civil War BOM's - I am very excited to see your progress - I was afraid that I wouldn't know how to complete some of the blocks - then I would get to hung up on the blocks that were difficult - I hope you have fun making it and let us know how its going.

Christine, thank you for sharing your family history. My ancestors from Europe were not even in the U.S. by 1862. Was your ggg with Sherman on his march to the sea and did he fight until the end of the war and did he survive the war?This is my favorite period in history. I read Gone With The Wind for the first time at age 10 and I've been hooked ever since.
    Your 5 quilts for your family members are so special!

My great great grandfather

The photos I included aren't the actual quilt blocks. I only received the first month's blocks last week. The photos are the "plan" I created. I printed pictures of the 4 smaller quilts, enlarged 150%. Then I cut them apart and rearranged them to include blocks I would use for photo transfers. When I got them arranged the way I wanted them I took pictures of them so I wouldn't forget!

Yes, my great great grandfather entered the war when it started, 4 long years, having enlisted 6 Jul. 1861 in Company D, 4th Iowa Infantry. According to historical & biographical records from Decatur county, Iowa, he fought in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou; Arkansas Post; First and Second battles of Jackson, Mississippi; Champion Hill; Siege of Vicksburg; Brandon, Mississippi; Chattanooga; Mission Ridge; In the Atlanta Campaign and in the battles of Jonesboro & Savannah. He was wounded in the head by a piece of shell at Chickasaw Bayou and was shot through the clothing at Vicksburg. Honorably Discharged at Davenport, Iowa 6 Aug. 1865.

So he participated in the burning of Atlanta. In Vicksburg the battle lasted about a month. His job was driving the ambulance, army mules pulling a wooden wagon.

He named one of his son's William Tecumseh, after Sherman. William Tecumsah is my great grandfather.
    There's a photo of my gggrandfather here:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=13532608&

After the first month's blocks came I went to the Marcus fabrics website to find out if there were any fabrics stores near me. The only one in the state of NC carrying these fabrics was Lone Star Mercantile in Raleigh. A friend and I drove there today, it's a fabric store that carries ONLY Civil War era fabrics! It was sooo cool. She had one of the smaller CWJ quilts on display.

They sell the entire kit, all 4 small quilts, for $232. That's the lowest I've seen it online anywhere. She's only open on Saturdays and Sundays though. Here's her blog:
    http://www.lonestarmercantile.blogspot.com/
    Scroll down to Dec. 9th to see her posts about the CWJ quilt. I joined her WOW club (women of wool) and got the entire kit for $208!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I belong to the same BOM as you. I think I'm making the 4 quilts, but not really sure. I am working on block 3. I would love to communicate with you. This is me 2nd Civil War BOM for me. I love civil war fabric and I love the stories they include. Sometimes I found that the blocks are awfully hard for me to do. If we chat, we could give and get advice. Let me join!!!
    Hi Ilene! You're in! You're ahead of me, I haven't even cut the fabric yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Hupp View Post
    Mine are done and I do not get the next part till the middle of February. I'll just have to wait. It will be a beautiful quilt when it is done. I am making the large one.
    You're DONE? OH WOW! I'm cutting my fabric tonight, in front of the TV most likely. I better get a move-on!

Nina, Judy, and Anne, Hi! I'm in NC, but am originally from Iowa. I've sewn since I was 13, but started quilting about 5 years ago. I'm glad to 'see' you, let's keep in touch. I'd love to hear how you're progressing. I'm logging off to start cutting now...

hi, Im working on a Nancy Rink design Ode to the Blue and Grey. This is my first civil war quilt, and I'm enjoying working on it.

Nancy, I looked up your quilt, the blocks are lovely! I love the fabrics! I found her website, and tried downloading the pattern but the link doesn't work. :~(

How far along are you in your quilt? I'd love to see photos.
    Last edited by Christine-; 01-29-2012 at 05:54 AM.

I worked until 3:00 this morning, cut all my fabric and have 1 block finished. Yipee! I haven't worked that late in ages, but it was fun! While I was at Lone Star Mercantile yesterday, another quilter came in with the finished center of the CWJ quilt. It was a great 'show and tell', I was thrilled to meet someone else who is making this quilt.

While I was cutting last night/this morning I watched a History Channel program about 'WWII - 24 hrs. after Pearl Harbor' as I cut my fabric. It brought to mind the atrocities of war and I realized 4 years serving in the Civil War must have been horrible for my gggrandfather.

1st Month's Blocks Done

I am doing two of the full sized quilts. Here are what my first 16 blocks look like. Eight in the fabrics that I bought at the quilt shop that "belong" with this pattern. And eight in fabrics that I got from my stash. I will be able to pick up the second month pattern and fabric in a week or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the colors in the other block! Very nice.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast