Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Make A Sample Square ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-make-sample-square-t77714.html)

SLHughes 11-21-2010 05:46 AM

I love your ideas Nadine and Jodi!!

As a newbie it is always nice to hear of tips and ideas ... I will add these to my notebook ....

I never thought of making a runner or anything like that ... that I didn`t think I would like my blocks on a quilt and also love the idea of using graph paper ...

Thanks for sharing. :)

janb 11-21-2010 06:28 AM

Always - helps to figure out the pattern - and then I save the sample for use later with the other samples for a crazy quilt...should be interesting to put together...

gollytwo 11-21-2010 06:32 AM

Never

knlsmith 11-21-2010 06:56 AM

I may draw out on paper where I want colors to be on a difficult block, but for the most part.... I like to jump in by the seat of my pants and let the Quilting gods do what they want. More fun that way.

GrammaO 11-21-2010 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
If a pattern looks to be quite challenging, I will make 4-6 blocks first....enough to get the hang of it and see if I like it enough to finish a full quilt and then go ahead and cut more or if I'm not really in love with it, I can make those few blocks up into a small dolly quilt or a table runner.

Jodi in Leavenworth

I don't draw it out or make a sample, I tend to fly by the seat of my pants and usually regret it later. My logic has been at 1) I can't draw and have trouble visualizing from the graph paper and 2) didn't want to 'waste' the time and fabric. ha! I lost count of the yards of fabric I've wasted doing it my way! I never thought of using the sample blocks for table runners or toppers. Duh! thanks for the tip!

amma 11-21-2010 10:03 AM

I like to sew out sample blocks, they can always go into a scrappy sampler quilt :wink:
I like to have all of the kinks worked out, pressing issues, etc.. before I start a quilt :D:D:D

bluteddi 11-21-2010 10:40 AM

I fly by the seat of my pants and just MAKE it work..... I'm too disorganized to plan ahead and make sample blocks!

FancyFoot 11-21-2010 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I will from now on... If I had made a sample block of the ugly quilt I am making, I wouldn't be making it. It is all cut out, so I don't have any other option than to finish it. I know the reasons it is ugly to me though. #1 It is too dark for my taste. #2 There isn't enough contrast for my taste. I just hope someone will fall in love with and just have to have it. HOPE! HOPE! HOPE!

Been there....Done that

leonajo 11-21-2010 11:34 AM

I am still a newbie, I thought I would make a sample block of Maple Leaf to see if I could get the stem right? may have to change to a Bear Paw lol I want to enjoy making my blocks, not go crazy doing something more advanced..tried that once and it was a heartbreaking.

MadQuilter 11-21-2010 11:53 AM

It depends. If it's a complicated block - definitely. If it's a block I haven't done before, and there are HSTs - generally. If it's a pattern I have done before and I want to test a new color combination - often.

Doing a block helps test out if the instructions are correct, if the fabrics go together, and if the instructions give a good process. As fabric is getting more expensive, bad/incorrect patterns should be eliminated.