Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Make A Sample Square ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-make-sample-square-t77714.html)

plainpat 11-21-2010 11:54 AM

That's for sure :thumbup:

As fabric is getting more expensive, bad/incorrect patterns should be eliminated.

grammyp 11-21-2010 11:58 AM

I do, unless it is something I have made before, a special request by someone, or a block for an exchange. I too really like to know if I want to bother with something before I reach the point of no return.

catrancher 11-21-2010 01:01 PM

No. I'm not patient enough. I just want to GO! On the other hand, the first block is always a sample by definition right?

Jenniky 11-21-2010 01:55 PM

Wish I had thought to do this. I started a quilt that has appliqued hearts on twelve of the square centers.. so I prepared all 12 of them so I would just have to sew on the finishing pieces of the square. Doh... I centered them squarely and they all turned out really beautiful..only they were suppose to be centered on a vertical diamond.. so all the hearts will be laying on the side. Bleah.. gonna have to make a trip back to JoAnnes to get more matterial and the fusible stuff to remake them correctly. I will have to figure out how to use the bad ones some other way they just to beautiful to toss.

plainpat 11-21-2010 02:11 PM

Baby quilt? tote bag,table runner ?
I bet if you made it as sewn, no one would even notice.

Originally Posted by Jenniky
Wish I had thought to do this. I started a quilt that has appliqued hearts on twelve of the square centers.. so I prepared all 12 of them so I would just have to sew on the finishing pieces of the square. Doh... I centered them squarely and they all turned out really beautiful..only they were suppose to be centered on a vertical diamond.. so all the hearts will be laying on the side. Bleah.. gonna have to make a trip back to JoAnnes to get more matterial and the fusible stuff to remake them correctly. I will have to figure out how to use the bad ones some other way they just to beautiful to toss.

Jenniky 11-21-2010 02:33 PM

Its a youth quilt and it has a definite top and bottom so the hearts really would look funny laying on their sides. And Im really trying for once to stick to the pattern..haha. :roll:

plainpat 11-21-2010 02:35 PM

If it isn't finished, can you remove the hearts & put them upright? Sounds like a job to me!

Its a youth quilt and it has a definite top and bottom so the hearts really would look funny laying on their sides. And Im really trying for once to stick to the pattern..haha. :roll:

Jenniky 11-21-2010 03:02 PM

Not really..it will just have to be a lesson learned for this newbie. If I go off pattern I could make them work but then I will have a lot of precut pieces that won't fit either way I will have to purchase more of the material. Just need to buy the fusible stuff and a 1/4 of material and I will be back in action. However this is a great lesson learned and in the future I will make a sample block out of leftover material so I have a better understanding of what is going to happen prior to cutting up all my pretty material. This will be my third quilt project since beginning. The first two I didnt use a layout pattern. The second one is my avantar and is made up of Dresdan squares and Card Trick which I have learned at quilting classes.

plainpat 11-21-2010 03:15 PM

Looks like you're doing great for making 3 quilts. The avatar is striking.Classes are a great way to learn.Learning is what it's all about.You can keep some inexpensive fabric for practice & you'll soon have scraps too.Practice blocks can be used for pot holders,tote bags, runners etc.Saw a dress with quilt blocks used as pockets.

Not really..it will just have to be a lesson learned for this newbie. If I go off pattern I could make them work but then I will have a lot of precut pieces that won't fit either way I will have to purchase more of the material. Just need to buy the fusible stuff and a 1/4 of material and I will be back in action. However this is a great lesson learned and in the future I will make a sample block out of leftover material so I have a better understanding of what is going to happen prior to cutting up all my pretty material. This will be my third quilt project since beginning. The first two I didnt use a layout pattern. The second one is my avantar and is made up of Dresdan squares and Card Trick which I have learned at quilting classes.

Jenniky 11-21-2010 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Looks like you're doing great for making 3 quilts. The avatar is striking.Classes are a great way to learn.Learning is what it's all about.You can keep some inexpensive fabric for practice & you'll soon have scraps too.Practice blocks can be used for pot holders,tote bags, runners etc.Saw a dress with quilt blocks used as pockets.