Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you make your own binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-make-your-own-binding-t100988.html)

toomanycats 02-18-2011 10:48 PM

I make my own. I really like scrap quilts so I have started just making scrap bindings. uses up more scraps that way.

jajudd24 02-19-2011 12:01 AM

I just bought the Simplicity Binder....cant wait to try it....

tepewalsh 02-19-2011 02:47 AM

I always make my own. cannot ever find the right amount or what I like in the the stores.

deema 02-19-2011 03:43 AM

I make my own.

Edie 02-19-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I make my own using a fabric either in the quilt or a companion to it. Sew together at an angle.

I make my own and sew it together like you do - 2-1/2", iron it down and loop it into about an 8" circle and then tie it so it stays together and I don't have it running all over the house. Then if there is any left over, I fold the quilt and tie it with the leftover binding. Nice little finishing touch. Edie

Wholeheart Mom 02-19-2011 04:00 AM

As a newbie, I have been making my own binding, but I am now intrigued with the Simplicity Bias tape maker machine that you all have mentioned. Everyone seems to like it, so I am thinking it may be a good investment.

Any other opinions about the Simplicity machine? I will search this forum for posts about it, but any opinions would be appreciated.

Donna H-M 02-19-2011 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
As a newbie, I have been making my own binding, but I am now intrigued with the Simplicity Bias tape maker machine that you all have mentioned. Everyone seems to like it, so I am thinking it may be a good investment.

Any other opinions about the Simplicity machine? I will search this forum for posts about it, but any opinions would be appreciated.

I just googled the Simplicity Bias tape maker machine, seems to make up to 1" single fold. I would like one now, but I cut 3" strips for 1/2" bindings.

susanwilley 02-19-2011 04:10 AM

I usally make my own using the 'continuous binding strip" method, but I have bought and used store bought binding from Walmart. They just don't have the right colors.

blondeslave 02-19-2011 04:11 AM

I used to use the premade binding and dreaded binding more than anything. I like making my own binding so much better-I can use anything I want and it's not stiff and hard to handle. Binding is still my least favorite part of quilting but I don't dread it like I used to.

purplemem 02-19-2011 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Donna H-M

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom

I just googled the Simplicity Bias tape maker machine, seems to make up to 1" single fold. I would like one now, but I cut 3" strips for 1/2" bindings.

The machine has tips you can buy for the different sizes. I use the quilt binding size, 2 1/2 inch strips, single fold. It also will make double fold. The extra tips are $10 each, it comes with some...but can't remember which ones.