Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you make your own binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-make-your-own-binding-t100988.html)

LindaR 02-19-2011 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by candi
I make my own too, never knew you could buy it made, lol. But I cut it into 2 1/4 inches strips and join them on the diagonal, fold lengthwise in half and press and then attach to the quilt attempting to miter the corners :mrgreen:

ditto, I never buy the boughten.. I had a friend that bound a baby quilt with the satin, it was a mess after 3 washings, never again...

supergma 02-19-2011 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by candi
I make my own too, never knew you could buy it made, lol. But I cut it into 2 1/4 inches strips and join them on the diagonal, fold lengthwise in half and press and then attach to the quilt attempting to miter the corners :mrgreen:

I do mine exactly like you; attempting being the key word here. :roll:

Shirlrh 02-19-2011 05:44 AM

I also cut my own. 21/4 or 2/12 depending on the quilt. I bought a binding tool at the OKC quilt show but I haven't used it.

sidmona 02-19-2011 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I make my own using a fabric either in the quilt or a companion to it. Sew together at an angle.

Same here.

MerryQuilter 02-19-2011 05:49 AM

Always, took me a while to be happy with whole process now never buy any, and enjoy making the bias as well.

cjquilts 02-19-2011 05:55 AM

Yes I make my own binding. I find that if I cut it while I am cutting my quilt out , at the end you already have it ready and it makes the finishing go much faster and easier. I cut 2 1/2 inch strips.

franc36 02-19-2011 05:58 AM

The binding is my favorite part of making a quilt. I usually cut and sew together the binding strips before I finish making the quilt top. The binding is in a roll, ready to be applied once I have finished quilting. Maybe I enjoy applying the binding so much because the quilt will be completed when I have the binding finished. I really think I enjoy binding so much because I hand sew it to the back side. I love hand sewing! Except for hand sewing on the label, the remainder of my quilt is machine sewn.

Baloonatic 02-19-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I make my own using a fabric either in the quilt or a companion to it. Sew together at an angle.

Me too, I always use a mitered seam to join the ends. They are so simple to make, and I really enjoy that part of the quiltmaking. I usually stress out on deciding on the perfect fabric to use as that is the finishing touch that will frame my masterpiece! {snork}
I've been asked by one of my guilds to give a demonstration of the 9 ways to create fabulous binding! I'm not sure I'll accept, it will take a lot of prep work and creating the samples and all the stages, and I'm a terrible public speaker and... :shock:

GladGrams 02-19-2011 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by np3

Me too ;-)

michelehuston 02-19-2011 06:13 AM

I make my own, but would be interested in the binding maker..you say it works well?!