Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you name your machine(s)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-name-your-machine-s-t194448.html)

Sewnoma 07-12-2012 04:09 PM

Do you name your machine(s)?

I was highly amused, when I went to pick up my first "real" sewing machine recently, that my dealers named my machine for me! My name happens to (just by sheer coincidence) closely match the name of a character in Star Wars, which they got a HUGE kick out of, and when they found out I didn't have a name for my machine yet they promptly dubbed her "Princess Leia". :D

I thought it was funny as heck so I've kept it, plus I'm really bad at naming machines for some reason. My cars never have names either. My other machines are called by the oh-so-imaginative names of "the Brother" and "the Kenmore" - maybe I should bring them into the dealer and they can name them for me too! LOL

What are your machines called, and how did you pick their names? Are the quilting police going to come get me for not naming my first two machines? :shock: ;)

Sally J 07-12-2012 04:30 PM

Yes, I name mine. FW is Shelley (name my child would have been named if he were a girl). Viking D1 is Susie (after my mom). My Viking 183 is Teal (since the front of the machine is that color) and finally my Viking 150 is Blackie (it's black) I know they are really creative but always made since to me.
I also name my cars, Little Red, and Red (they are both bright red).
ha Ha

Stitchnripper 07-12-2012 04:52 PM

I don't, but I think some of the names my fellow quilters here on the board use are so creative and fun.

Candace 07-12-2012 04:59 PM

I have too many machines to name them.

Mariposa 07-12-2012 05:01 PM

My first machine- a Singer Sonata- named her Betsy- just cuz
My Pfaff- "Happy Bottom"- my grandma's name was Gladys- ;)
my FW- "Bella"-she's so pretty
my two-tone 301-Sofia- yes, I am Italian~
my LA-"Hannah"-it means grace, and I need all the grace I can get!!

dunster 07-12-2012 05:03 PM

If it won't come when I call it, I don't bother naming it.

Whigrose 07-12-2012 05:08 PM

I name all my machines- helps me to remember where or from who they came.

Just a couple of examples - Linnie = came from Lincolnville, Ginger=Ginger, Val= Valentine's gift to me from dh :-), Miss Sophie -after the original owner of a treadle given to me by a ggd. I named one of my very first treadles after someone who was a mentor and gave me confidence (and resources where to learn). Tiffany - she's a Singer with you guessed it, Tiffany decals. Not very imaginative, but helpful.

d

Connie M. 07-12-2012 05:38 PM

I laughed my head off at the one who only names things that will come when called. I, on the other hand, name everything. My 32 year old Bernina is Bernie. The newer Artista 180 is Nina (real original, so far huh) My Singer treadle is Freida, after my mother-in-law who gave her to me. My new Juki is Trixie, and my serger is Ziggy. I also name my cars and occasionally my Major appliances. My Dodge Caravan is Sylvia and hubbys pick-up is Lil Red. My first car, a VW bug was Petunia and I had a 61 Chevy Impala named Ezmarelda. My old 29 year old Maytag washer was Mr Lonely, He finally went to that big scrap pile in the sky. New one hasn't told me its name yet. My fridge is Edna and my garbage disposal is Oscar. I know none of them will come when I call them, but It's kinda fun to name my stuff and it tickles the grandkids.

Earleen 07-12-2012 05:51 PM

My 1947 Kenmore is Matilda, no name for the other 2.

happyquiltmom 07-12-2012 06:15 PM

I've named only my FW, Violet. She seemed to need a name.