Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you name your machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-name-your-machines-t281979.html)

mirish2 09-06-2016 06:22 AM

Do you name your machines

I have mine named after various relatives.. Unfortunately Helen sounds very bad, don't know if it is serious indigestion or bronchitis. Taking her to the shop today.

sewbizgirl 09-06-2016 06:42 AM

I call mine by their brand names, so their names are "the Juki", "the Bernina", "the Singer 66", "the Singer 301", etc. I would never remember any other names and just don't see the point in renaming them.

My daughter had a car she called "Bradley", but I just don't get 'humanizing' machines. :confused:

dunster 09-06-2016 06:59 AM

I'm with sewbizgirl. If it won't come when I call, then it doesn't get a name.

love 2 sew 09-06-2016 07:10 AM

I regularly mix up my daughter's & dog's name, so no for me too. The less I have to remember, the better. But I know many do name their machines.

cashs_mom 09-06-2016 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7646287)
I call mine by their brand names, so their names are "the Juki", "the Bernina", "the Singer 66", "the Singer 301", etc. I would never remember any other names and just don't see the point in renaming them.

My daughter had a car she called "Bradley", but I just don't get 'humanizing' machines. :confused:

I'm the same. Mine are "the Bernina", "the 301" and the "Rocketeer". We are big car enthusiasts, but we don't name our cars either. However, my husband does have a tag on the key for his 34 Ford that says "Baby" ;)

lfletcher 09-06-2016 07:23 AM

I named my Gammill longarm Gabby, but I don't know why. I just call my domestic machines by their brand name. I do find that I talk to "Gabby" more than the others, but perhaps because she doesn't always mind as well!

Tartan 09-06-2016 07:43 AM

I call my Bernina " Bernini" after the artist and my old Singer treadle " old clunky" because she is noisy but a work horse.

sewbizgirl 09-06-2016 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7646300)
I'm with sewbizgirl. If it won't come when I call, then it doesn't get a name.

LOL, dunster! :D

redstilettos 09-06-2016 08:38 AM

I normally don't name them. However, recently a friend and I went in on a previously loved longarm. She said we need to name it. When we batted things around, I thought something revolving around "three of us" ike the three musketeers..... she said...no more like the three stooges. She said...we should call her Mo. Like.....we need to do "mo quiltin'!"

She's been Mo ever since.

LOL

IrishgalfromNJ 09-06-2016 12:36 PM

Yes. I do name my machines. I started doing this when I was given a machine that was well loved by her previous owner who passed away. I named the machine after her and then I continued the practice.

2001 Singer machine I named Vesta , because I like the name.
Bernina 1530 named Martha, after previous owner.
Singer 15 hand crank named Black Beauty.
Brother PE770 Embroidery Machine named Myrna, named by my daughter who gave it to me.
Janome Horizon 7700 named Magnolia, because she's all white.
Singer Featherweight named Katie, because I like the name.
Singer One named Bronwyn, because I like the name.

I also name my automobiles.