Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-prefer-sew-group-alone-t202008.html)

cowgirlquilter 10-01-2012 08:28 PM

I am a school administrator that has to deal with 700 people day in and day out, so sewing quietly by myself is the ultimate.c although I will say I wish I had some friends here........

GrannieAnnie 10-01-2012 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ann63 (Post 5554010)
I never seem to get a of lot sewing done with a group because I like to talk too much. It's awkard for me to be with others and not talk. I do my best sewing when I am alone and can concentrate on what I am sewing. Even when I am cooking or doing laundry, I still seem to get more sewing done. Sewing is a hobby so I justify it by doing things at home while sewing. How do you justify sewing for hours with others when so much needs to be done at home such as cooking, cleaning and transporting kids to different activites?

I fix breakfast, bucket lunch, and supper for my hubby every day. I keep the dishes and laundry done. I sweep up my threads and scraps every day. AND THE KIDS ARE GROWN! So, I knit, crochet, sew, read the QB...................

LoisM 10-01-2012 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5554129)
I prefer to sew at home, but it's not really because of the talking in a group sewing situation. At home I have everything handy, my sewing machine is at the correct height for me and recessed into a table, the cutting table is large and at the right height, the lighting is good, my chair is ergonomic, and I can either listen to a book on CD or turn it off if I need to concentrate. If I get tired of sewing I can leave it for a few minutes or a few hours and it will be just where I left it when I come back. If I go out to sew I have to lug all my things, run the risk of forgetting something, have to deal with uncomfortable chairs and cutting tables, and I don't get much done. I love chatting with other quilters, but I'd rather not sew with a group.

Ditto for me, Dunster. You took the words right out of my mouth.

rush88888 10-02-2012 12:14 AM

go on a retreat! no housework!

teddysmom 10-02-2012 02:55 AM

My DD and I have just started a group we call Quilting Queens. It's ladies from her church and from my church. We had our first Queens meeting last month with 5 ladies. We'll meet the next time on Oct. 9 and expect some who couldn't make it last month. We all brought things we could do while "visiting". 2 of the ladies cut and pressed for their project, my DGD appliqued, my DD and I pieced. We have 2 sewing machines available, 2 cutting mats. iron & ironing board set up for those who need them. We are enjoying getting together with ladies we don't know and seeing what others are doing. Everyone enjoyed the first meeting and the others who have heard what a good time we had are anxious for the October meeting. So, I guess to answer the post, I enjoy working with others and I enjoy working alone. Both have great benefits for me.

junegerbracht 10-02-2012 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5554018)
I prefer doing brain numbing sewing within a group, but intricate cutting, piecing and quilting needs to be done while I'm alone. I get distracted and make mistakes.

Same with me.

kathbug 10-02-2012 03:04 AM

It would be nice at times but the thought of packing up everything especially my sewing machine ( it is old ang metal making it very heavy) but I also think I would have the talking problem. My nick name is chatty Kathy lol

jmoore 10-02-2012 03:08 AM

I enjoy the ideas shared when working with a group and the motivation I get when quilting with others especially when working on the same quilt pattern. It seems I always learn something from experienced quilters whether it's a cutting or piecing shortcut. However, as my projects grow in size, I have much more room at home to "spread out" and work comfortably at home. I just discovered that my LQS classroom was remodeled over summer and has doubled in size so there appears to be more table space and plenty of ironing boards set up. I'm looking forward to it!

nycquilter 10-02-2012 03:19 AM

Do I have to choose? I love both. For about the past 12 or so years, I have participated in two annual quilt retreats. One has more people, but essentially the same core group. The other consists of the same women each time. I love both--did I say that already? 8^)) I get lots of work done in both places, as much or almost as much as if I were alone. The benefits of group work is other opinions, learning new things (in all realms, not just quilting), show-and-tell, seeing others' experiments, and fabulous companionship. Sewing alone, I get to talk to myself, play with my fabric, and quilt not just piece or applique.

Lucy90 10-02-2012 03:55 AM

I go on Tuesdays and sew at a LQS with a couple of friends. I do get more done at home but it is nice to sew and visit with friends. We have lunch & catch up on our quilting. I bring easy projects to our Tuesday outings. I do get more done at home but friends are very special and so is our sewing. House work can wait because life is just too short.