Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you serge around your quilt top before machine quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-serge-around-your-quilt-top-before-machine-quilting-t195106.html)

Candace 07-19-2012 11:34 AM

Serging will add bulk and bulk is something I avoid.

huntannette 07-19-2012 11:35 AM

i do after it`s quilted before putting the binding on

dunster 07-19-2012 01:09 PM

It sounds like a lot more work, more handling of the quilt edges, uses up thread, and not necessary. If the seams at the edges are coming undone, it seems to me that there is something wrong with the way they're being sewn to start with. Maybe decrease the stitch length, or be more careful with handling, or back stitch? Why would they be coming apart at this stage of the quilt, and not also be a problem when piecing blocks together?

Lori S 07-19-2012 01:50 PM

I stay stitch around the entire top before sending it off for longarming. Particulary if there is alot of piecing in the border that has been strip cut.

Chester the bunny 07-19-2012 02:04 PM

I agree with Lori,

I do a long machine basting stitch all around the top if it has many seams. Especially if I am not planning on quilting it right away. This way if it gets manhandled (folded / unfolded) many times then the seams won't come apart.

Carole

karenpatrick 07-19-2012 02:08 PM

Don't own a serger.

ghostrider 07-19-2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 5377536)
I was just wondering how many of you serge around your quilt tops before you machine quilt. When I was down checking out longarms, the girl there serged around the quilt top I took to test drive the machine. She said that it would keep the seams from coming undone around the edges. Do any of you longarmers do this ?

Not only do I not stitch the edges of my quilt top in any way, and never had any problem as a result, I would have been furious if some longarm salesperson serged a top I brought in to test out a machine!! Even if she asked me first, I'd have taken my top and walked out, never to return.

thepolyparrot 07-19-2012 03:30 PM

I only serge around the edge after it's all quilted. I also serge the edges of the binding shut so that it can't shift and pucker while I'm sewing it on. The extra stitching makes the binding full - "stuffs" it nicely. :)

I don't serge to keep the seams from coming undone - I serge to give myself a nice clean edge.

I would not serge the sandwich before quilting - quilting does different things to fabric layers and you could end up with a big fold on the edge where the backing has drawn up more than the top. Then what do you do for more backing fabric? You'd have to take it all apart and un-sew the quilting far enough in to sew more backing fabric on there. This is just not a good idea - not for quilting on a regular domestic machine, anyway. Maybe you can get away with it on a longarm.

But serging just the top? It's not going to hurt anything if she did a nice job of it. (Kept your 1/4" seams, sewed straight, etc.)

It will help fill out the binding and it will keep your outer seams from coming undone. Perhaps you had a longer stitch length or some edges that were coming undone and she was concerned? She should have asked you first, but I wouldn't get too upset about it. If I didn't want her to do that, I would just ask her not to do it any more in the future. It's really no big deal if it's just the top.

wolph33 07-23-2012 06:39 PM

I do not serge-great idea-but I do a stay stitch all round the outside to keep stitches from coming out during the quilting.There is tension on the quilt and stay stitching keeps seams from coming apart on the ends and helps keep the top from pulling out of square also.