Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you serge around your quilt top before machine quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-serge-around-your-quilt-top-before-machine-quilting-t195106.html)

#1piecemaker 07-19-2012 08:42 AM

Do you serge around your quilt top before machine quilting?

I was just wondering how many of you serge around your quilt tops before you machine quilt. When I was down checking out longarms, the girl there serged around the quilt top I took to test drive the machine. She said that it would keep the seams from coming undone around the edges. Do any of you longarmers do this ?

DebraK 07-19-2012 08:55 AM

I don't and my seams stay together just fine.

IAmCatOwned 07-19-2012 09:39 AM

I know a lady who serges the quilt top - she's had issues where the stitching on pieced borders has spread or broken while the quilt was being handled (before being finished). This reinforces that edge and the results aren't seen since serging is less than 1/4 inch. I doubt she does it on a regular one fabric border quilt.

I also know someone who serges the quilt sandwich before putting it on to quilt - she only does this for kid quilts though. You don't generally have the wavy border issue on a small quilt, so I can't see a problem with it. I know it's easier to attach the binding if the edges have either been serged or sewn down first. I did it once - I would do it again for a high loft batt, but not the typical low loft most of us use.

Stitchnripper 07-19-2012 09:49 AM

I think we might have had a thread recently on this, if you want to try the search feature.

AndiR 07-19-2012 09:53 AM

Nope. I've quilted probably 800 - 900 customer quilts, and have never had one with a serged edge. Very occasionally I've had a top where the seams at the edges were coming undone, but that only seems to happen if the piecer used too long of a stitch length or handled the quilt very roughly. I also am careful not to overly tension the quilt top, so I haven't had problems on most quilts.

#1piecemaker 07-19-2012 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5377686)
I think we might have had a thread recently on this, if you want to try the search feature.

I'll do a search and see what I can find out. Obviously I missed ir if there was.

quiltsRfun 07-19-2012 09:58 AM

I serge the top before sandwiching. Keeps the seams together and also helps prevent raveling.

#1piecemaker 07-19-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR (Post 5377697)
Nope. I've quilted probably 800 - 900 customer quilts, and have never had one with a serged edge. Very occasionally I've had a top where the seams at the edges were coming undone, but that only seems to happen if the piecer used too long of a stitch length or handled the quilt very roughly. I also am careful not to overly tension the quilt top, so I haven't had problems on most quilts.

Oh, my gosh! 800 to 900 hundred quilts!!! Amazing!!

Prism99 07-19-2012 10:05 AM

I've serged around the outside edge, but actually did not like it. The added thread on the edge made the edge stiffer.

What I do now is really different from what most people do. Instead of cutting the edge, I mark the edge with a Sharpie permanent marker -- on the side that I will be machine sewing my binding on. (If I mark on the opposite side, I just use a long machine stitch to stitch on top of the mark in a contrasting thread so I have a similar guide on the opposite side.) I sew on my binding just as if the marked line was my cutting line, including mitering the corners. Only after I have sewn the binding on do I cut the edges. That way all the seams are locked into the binding before I ever cut. The only thing to be careful about when cutting is to make sure I do not cut into the binding at the corners; you never want to "trim" the binding at the corners! (Do not ask me how I know this.)

Above works really well for me. It even allows me to fine-tune, as I can re-mark if I end up with a line that isn't quite where it should be.

TexasSunshine 07-19-2012 11:28 AM

I won't ask what you meant by trimming the corners, but I probably did the same thing.