Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Sew... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-sew-t271317.html)

thread mess 10-22-2015 04:57 AM

Please do unplug your machines during an intense thunder storm...especially those that are computerized. I lost a beautiful Bernina that I bought 2nd hand. The board just fried, and it would cost more than what I paid in the first place. :(

rj.neihart 10-22-2015 05:11 AM

Storms can be the death of many electrical toys.....I usually have a side thing going when I have to stay away from my machine. Like more cutting of squares, or laying out another quilt, or rearranging my sewing fabrics. I don't take a chance on my machine attracting death.

MissSongbird 10-22-2015 05:15 AM

I don't sew during storms, but that's because they scare me to death and you'll find me hiding under a blanket. But when it does storm I unplug all small electronics and appliances unless I really need them. I've had storms completely fry a computer and all the phones in my house. Gotta be careful

Diane C. 10-22-2015 05:27 AM

Get replacement cost coverage on your home owners insurance policy. Otherwise you only get what a . portion of what it originally sold for . Example all that fabric or anything else you own will be pro rated to a fraction of what you paid for it new. It does cost a bit more but is well worth it. Diane C.

carolynjo 10-22-2015 05:46 AM

Because we lived in Fla. for 20 years, I learned not to sew, run water, watch TV, play the piano, sit near the windows, etc. That means it's a good day or time to read. After losing so many appliances and a hot water heater and seeing houses around us get hit or damaged, we decided to play it safe and unplug everything.

maviskw 10-22-2015 05:49 AM

[QUOTE=lovelyl;7352267]The only sewing I do during a thunderstorm is with my treadle or handcrank! [QUOTE]

This is what I would do, too. But have never had to do that yet. Usually, if we lose power, it is only for a second or two.

But have you noticed how many fewer of such storms we have had over the last three or four years? Climate change? ? ?

Snooze2978 10-22-2015 05:56 AM

When it looks like its going to be a doozie of a storm I unplug all my equipment as I can't afford to replace them, even with home insurance. I love my old Viking and I'm sure if it got fried, they would just replace it instead of fixing it and I don't want her replaced.

maryb119 10-22-2015 06:02 AM

No I don't and I unplug my machine when it's not in use. I used to sell serge protectors.....they help but do not fully protect your electronics. The higher the juele number the higher to protection but nothing really protects from lightening.

toverly 10-22-2015 06:24 AM

Nope, and I unplug it. Love my Juki, don't want it to expire.

Quiltngolfer 10-22-2015 06:27 AM

A lightening storm blew out the motherboard on a computerized embroidery machine of mine, very expensive! Since then, I never leave my machines plugged in unless I am using them, and I don't sew during storms. It was an expensive lesson to me. I had to buy another machine.