Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do You Sew... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-sew-t271317.html)

Sandra-P 10-21-2015 12:04 PM

Do You Sew...

During Lightning storms? Ok, I know it sounds foolish but at what point do you say I should stop? Our coffeemaker has been blown out 3 times now, it will sometimes trip the kitchen breaker. I use a power strip that says it will help but just wondering if anyone has had any major problems during storms.

PaperPrincess 10-21-2015 12:11 PM

I don't and I keep my machine unplugged unless I'm using it. It probably depends on how attached you are to your sewing machine. If it's a cheapie from a big box store and if it breaks you are just going to get a new one, then go ahead. If it's a more expensive machine, I wouldn't. You should check with your insurance agent to see how much, if anything, you would get for your machine if it was destroyed by a surge. The strips that you get most places aren't much good. The ones we used at work cost hundreds of dollars and still were not 100% guaranteed.

imsewnso 10-21-2015 12:13 PM

Don't sew during a lightening storm and my machines are plugged into a surge protector at all times. If I am home and it is a bad storm... close to us ....I unplug...otherwise I don't.

Tartan 10-21-2015 12:45 PM

I don't sew on my machine or use my electronic devices during a thunder storm.

bearisgray 10-21-2015 12:50 PM

I unplug my "good" machines and the computer when I can during a lightning storm. I also try to stay away from water.

tessagin 10-21-2015 01:11 PM

I have most of my electronics and small appliances on sstrip surge protectors. When it gets really nasty, I just unplug all of them. I wouldn't care if I only paid $10.00 for a cheapy machine, I don't want to take the time and money to go get another one. I have both machines on one strip. So just one unplug will do it and I lay the cord where I can see it for a quick check glance. I started doing this when I worked in a salon. I could unplug everything (curling irons, blowdryers) on my protector and not worrying about setting the salon on fire. So simple and who wants to take a chance on having to pay more?

Peckish 10-21-2015 03:49 PM

A power strip is NOT the same thing as a surge protector, and some surge protectors are better than others. I had my computer on a surge protector when we lost power for about 20 minutes. When it came back on, my computer tower started smoking. Fortunately, I was right there and yanked the plug, but my son still had to replace the power supply.

Jeanne S 10-21-2015 04:32 PM

I do not sew during an electrical storm and make sure my machine and iron are unplugged.

ckcowl 10-21-2015 04:49 PM

I hand sew during storms. :)

QuiltingHaven 10-21-2015 05:28 PM

During the last big snow storm, we lost electricity. Had the fireplace up and running and got out my "converted to a hand-crank Singer 99", started sewing, and we had a great day!!!!