Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you square your blocks. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-square-your-blocks-t235964.html)

RedGarnet222 12-03-2013 12:48 PM

Just like tartan right from the start and right through until the block is finished. It isn't much a sliver here or there, but it makes it all set right when the blocks are finished. I also am a big fan of no steam while pressing.

Sewnoma 12-03-2013 12:49 PM

Rarely...but I usually make very simple square-and-rectangle type blocks that tend to turn out pretty accurate all on their own.

If there are bias cuts in a block, I often need to square up.

Only thing I ALWAYS square up is crazy quilts, because I just sew stuff haphazardly to my foundation and then cut it down to size afterwards. :)

sewingsuz 12-03-2013 01:22 PM

Yes I square my blocks. This makes a big difference when putting quilt all together.

Lori S 12-03-2013 03:00 PM

It depends... on how much the block varies from the desired size. If its off a hair or two .. I have done more "damage" trying to shave that little bit off.

judylg 12-03-2013 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 6436659)
Yes, I do square my blocks. I want as few unplanned "surprises" as possible when I go to put the quilt top together!!:D

I square my blocks as well. I have found things just work out better when I go to sew it all together. It is a pain, but time well spent.

Zyngawf 12-03-2013 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 6436666)
Good question! I am really a little surpised at how many answered yes. For me it depends, a lot of blocks you really son't want to square up as you will lose your points. If my block is just a tad too big or too little (I measure when I do the first one) I just go with it and ease it in. However if it is more that just a tad, I take a look to see what the issue might be - a miscut piece, seam too big or too small. Fix that and my next block(s) should be good to go. Now if we are talking a block that doesn't have any points or something like half square triangles, yes I would square them up.

Yes. That is what I do. I ruined a few blocks like that because I squared them. I think if you like the crinkly look when the batting squishes up after washer and dryer, then easing something in a little isn't even noticeable.

Zyngawf 12-03-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 (Post 6436667)
I have read if you do accurate cutting and sewing there should be no need to square up blocks. I usually do not square up my blocks

True, but I think they only come out right in a perfect world.

Jackie Spencer 12-03-2013 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6436726)
I think we may have different definitions of squaring up. To me, it means checking the size of the block (frequently if necessary) as it is being built. If it doesn't measure as expected, I figure out what is going wrong and fix that problem. As a result, I very seldom need to shave any fabric from a block (except when I've purposely made the patch larger, so I can cut it down to its proper size after sewing, as with HST's). I think it's much more productive to strive for accuracy in cutting, sewing, and pressing. Then "squaring up" just means verifying that the block is the right size and shape.

Ditto! If my blocks are not the correct size, I correct the problem, usually means taking them apart and re sewing.

aronel 12-03-2013 06:04 PM

Yep! Same here.

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6436589)
Ditto. Right from the start.

franc36 12-03-2013 06:31 PM

When I started quilting, I think I didn't know about squaring blocks. Now, I always square my blocks. My only problem is that I have to be careful not to cut too close to a point.