Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you stitch around quilt before trimming and binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-stitch-around-quilt-before-trimming-binding-t114724.html)

Ruby the Quilter 04-10-2011 05:08 PM

I always stitch around it close to the edge, then trim. For me it makes putting the binding so much easier.

Ruby the Quilter

TonnieLoree 04-10-2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I stitch! I've had some that didn't have enough quilting around the edges to keep it flat and ended up with puckers or pleats when I applied the binding.

I'm updating my original post. I just finished stippling a top where the stitching came out to the edge. I am not going to sew all the way around it this time. In fact, I was thinking about this thread and decided to continue all the way out for a change.

judi wess 04-10-2011 06:25 PM

I will do a stay stitch, 1/8 in around the top if I think there might be a problem with bias edges.

katigirl 04-10-2011 09:14 PM

Now I'm confused. How close to the edge do you sew so that the stitching isn't cut off when trimming your quilts? I have never heard of this and would like to know about it. It may be a good practice to get into.

audsgirl 04-10-2011 10:14 PM

I baste around the edge of the quilt, about 1/8" from the edge because I was having stretching issues when I applied the binding. It also makes me feel more confident about the general stability of the quilt.

Scakes 04-11-2011 01:12 AM

I will stitch around the edge most of the time - unless I have quilted close to the edge. :-)

quilt crazee 04-11-2011 04:53 AM

Haven't, but want to try it on the next one! It makes sense!

jdeery 04-11-2011 08:23 AM

I do baste around the edge, and use my walking foot
to sew on the binging which helps alot.

Marvel 04-11-2011 08:29 AM

I found that it helps a lot when it comes to putting the top into the frames. I do it.

mudsprite 04-11-2011 10:05 AM

GOOD QUESTION! - I recently asked a gal that has quilted for over 60 plus years the same question as you did. She said she used to stay stitch all the way around a quilt. If it was large and heavy, she sewed around twice.

NOW, here's the interesting part. As she is older she found if she serged around her quilt she could straighten and close edges for easier binding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Some older quilts always start to frazzel and fray at the binding but not hers as less wear and better prep for binding.

Duh! Have to pull the old serger out and start using her method. She also said, if quilt is straight, she leaves knives down.

Anyhow, I plan to adopt this method. Especially after seeing the way my quilts are treated, dragged sopping from washing machines and thrown into driers, makes me weep or want to kill. But stay stitching IS the way to go in my opinion, especially with flannel quilts, no matter what design.

Cindy