Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you take classes? What do you do when others members of the class (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-take-classes-what-do-you-do-when-others-members-class-t223579.html)

Glenda m 06-14-2013 08:37 AM

I take classes through the Canadian County Cooperative Extension Center(Oklahoma State University). Haven't had any of those things happen to me. Love meeting with the other ladies and exchanging ideas. One class I took was a Broken Star type pattern. The instructor kept trying to stress the 1/4" seam, a must. I finished one part before the rest of the class and she was using mne as an example. I love doing the "Star" patterns and had done quite a few, so I said if your seam on these isn't 1/4 then that kinda throws everything off. The instructor, while no one was looking, said Thank you for saying that. Sometimes they just don't listen to me. LOL

romanojg 06-14-2013 08:55 AM

I totally understand and it's so easy to get distracted. I'm also one that needs visual learning. I normally will try to be nice but not encourage conversation, this normally will let others know I'm not interested in talking at that time. I need be I'll let them know I'll talk after I'm done. I agree, I paid to learn and when I leave I want to know as much as possible. Some people take the classes for social contact and not because they need to learn; I'm not one of those.

cricket_iscute 06-14-2013 09:56 AM

I'm usually slow in a sewing/quilting class also and I don't know why since I'm normally ahead of any university or other class. But if someone wants to chat, I'll probably asked them how they did what I'm trying to do.

Sandrea 06-14-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 6121933)
I totally understand and it's so easy to get distracted. I'm also one that needs visual learning. I normally will try to be nice but not encourage conversation, this normally will let others know I'm not interested in talking at that time. I need be I'll let them know I'll talk after I'm done. I agree, I paid to learn and when I leave I want to know as much as possible. Some people take the classes for social contact and not because they need to learn; I'm not one of those.

I agree with this statement.....I do hate to be rude to anyone, but sometimes it is all I can do to keep up with the teacher in the first place.....so I need to pay attention to the teacher.

MadQuilter 06-14-2013 11:09 AM

"Sorry, can't talk right now. I'm trying to figure this out."

Rosyhf 06-14-2013 12:20 PM

The teacher should be in control of her class.

Mariah 06-14-2013 12:43 PM

There is always one or more at the Sat. quilt day or one of the classes. Just tell the person "we will have to talk later. I want to get this while I am so close to understanding." Then try to see her before the time is up, or call her. Maybe she will catch on!Mariah

ube quilting 06-14-2013 02:48 PM

How about this. " I don't know, I am here to learn along with you. Ask the instructor for clarification."

I have been in a lot of classes where some people sometimes corral the instructor and I can't get my own questions answered.

I started speaking up and very directly, ask the instructor to speak up so everyone can benefit from the conversation and maybe my own questions will get answered through the discussion.

There are many people who pay for what they think are 'princess rights' and entitles them to personal one on one instruction regardless of how many people are in the room. You know who you are so stop it!

We all are paying good money and the teacher needs to be in control of the progression of the class.

That is the end of my rant!:D
peace

skothing 06-15-2013 03:20 AM

Good answers and suggests. Thanks, it is good to hear I am not some monster wanting to concentrate.

lisalovesquilting 06-15-2013 05:08 AM

A good thread with lots of good advice. A little off subject but I seem to always sit by the one who wants to tell me all about her illnesses, surgeries, etc. etc. etc. etc. Lesson: if you are a talker please give your neighbor a break once in a while. Thanks.