Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-tear-your-fabric-put-grain-t135301.html)

Maggiesmom 07-05-2011 05:28 AM

My mother was a wonderful seamstress, she always taught me to tear fabric. I have often been distressed when I asked for a half yard of fabric got it home and really had barely a quarter yard of usable fabric because the grain was so off.

NJ Quilter 07-05-2011 05:29 AM

I rip for large pieces but not as a general rule. I've tried the whole 'pull a thread' thing and quilting cotton is just too tightly woven for that to work for me. I usually just line up the selveges and wiggle until it's straight and then cut whatever the necessary chunk off the end to get it straight. Not always really true but usually close enough for me.

SparkMonkey 07-05-2011 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Trying to understand this- so, for instance, when I make the backing for my quilt, instead of cutting, cutting, cutting with my rotary cutter, I could just rip the whole thing down the length of it?? I understand that it would rip along the thread line, I'd just be so worried that I'd be distorting the fabric by stretching it...

I never even heard of ripping fabric- I'm already learning so much on this board!

You sure could! I've ripped both across the selvedge grain and along it, and both ways are perfectly safe and don't distort the fabric. There's a bit of stretching and fraying right next to the ripped area for about a half-inch, but the rest of the fabric is unharmed. You do want to avoid ripping narrow strips (like less than 2" ), because they could just tear off. Anything else is fine, though. I'll rip a bit wider than the size I need for long strips, then just trim off the frayed part.

Fabric rips much easier than you'd think. Once you get it started (a little snip with the scissors is enough), it rips almost as easily as paper. You may still need to straighten the grain, but it has nothing to do with being distorted from ripping; it was distorted to begin with, which is *why* you rip--so you can *find* the grain and straighten it. Once you get your grainline, just tug the fabric along the bias to line it up properly (you might need some practice to get the hang of it). Once the fabric is squared up, it'll be much easier to work with and you'll have an easier time getting accurate cuts.

debcavan 07-05-2011 05:31 AM

There are so many finishes on our fabrics that sometimes they tear in a semi circle. I put my ruler on my fabric, cut and call it good. I do like to have my fabric given extra body with starch or sizing though

carslo 07-05-2011 05:33 AM

For big pieces on the backing I rip, both directions it is so much easier than trying to cut the fabric :) I thought everyone did it that way.

Doreen 07-05-2011 05:37 AM

I also rip larger pieces. e first time someone ripped a large piece , I just cringed. Now I'm used to it. You can straighten smaller piece just by lining up the selvages til the fabric hangs without folds.

nance-ell 07-05-2011 05:38 AM

Thanks so much for this thread! I'm learning (or in this case relearning) so many things here. :)

lscho4jm 07-05-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I don't rip my fabric. I don't like how it distorts and separates the weave. If you are working with a plaid or check that had to be perfect I might. I sometimes will rip a huge yardage in half to make it more managable (too big a piece to rotary cut on mat).

I am with you. Ripped fabric drives me bonkers; distorting and separating. I still have to clean up the ends to cut.

lscho4jm 07-05-2011 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by mshollysd
The way I learned in Homeec is to pull a thread across the grain, and cut along this thread. This gives you a true edge. Then when you place the fabric down smooth (selvedges together) if that edge is not lined up (the selveges) on the end, you need to stretch the fabric on the bias all the way down until it is straight. This way there is no distortion. Now since I have been making quilts and my pieces are so small, not a problem, however if you are making borders, can be a problem if the weave is off.

Thanks for the reminder! I had completely forgotten this...since I have been out of home ec for many years. lol

auntmag 07-05-2011 08:36 AM

Fabric will only tear on the grain, whether vertical or horizontal.

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
I guess I don't understand how it doesn't make it more off grain. I mean, ripping something should distort the rest of the fabric, so doesn't ripping make it worse?