Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you tear your fabric to put in on grain? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-tear-your-fabric-put-grain-t135301.html)

SunlitenSmiles 07-06-2011 05:48 AM

oohhhhhhhhhhh, nooooo, hugs and all but that does not give you straight grain.....saw a lady doing this once with a woven check (yarn dyed) and when she was going to cut it she was about to cut diagonally across a square.......we had a friendly discussion about straight of grain and have been sewing friends ever since.

ok this was a reply to an earlier comment about lining up selvages....sorry, this was to the lady in Canada...

catrancher 07-06-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Agatha

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
I guess I don't understand how it doesn't make it more off grain. I mean, ripping something should distort the rest of the fabric, so doesn't ripping make it worse?

If I rip, I make a small cut first and then let the grain take the rest as it's ripped. But mostly I don't rip. Mostly I don't straighten my grain. I never saw the need to. Can you all tell me why you straighten your grain? Maybe I should start.

Very good question. This has never seemed a big issue to me either.

jaciqltznok 07-06-2011 06:15 AM

Not only do I RIP....I prewash it! that helps bring it back into alignment as well...and if it is off grain, it will really show after it is washed..

I iron it after I rip...so that the edges are not rough.

as a side note..it gets off grain when it is printed....that is why sometimes you can not get it on grain/straight no matter what you do...

I find that if I RIP the strips for sashings/borders, and then trim them to size, they will generally lie flatter and be truer to size!

jaciqltznok 07-06-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by christinetindell
The only time I tear fabric is for my backings. I find it stretches too much for piecing. And with rotary cutters, I don't fuss over grain anymore.

not FUSSING with grain just means you run the potential of getting blocks that do not lie flat, puckers when you try to quilt them, and when it is quilted will wave like a flag in OK....

there is a reason some things are done! Believe it or not, there is a sort of SCIENCE to sewing/quilting/working with fabric in general!

valsma 07-06-2011 06:21 AM

I had never heard of this till I joined this board, but find it interesting because sometimes trying to line up the grain is a pain.

When you rip it are you ripping from salvage edge to salvage edge?

Mariah 07-06-2011 06:22 AM

Yes, I rip mine to straighten the grain. Fabric is woven with it like you would see in a weaving loom.
First, I pull it from corner to corner to help straighten, then if still not straight, I rip it to get it straight.
The reason this is important to me, is because as your projects are completed, the corners will all match and you won't have to worry about seeing corners that don't match.
If the fabric is of the kind that ripping isn't possible, I pull a thread.
All of these statements I learned from my Mom, who was quite a seamstress, and also from my h.s. sewing teacher, and more recently from our guild.
Mariah

greaterexp 07-06-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mshollysd
The way I learned in Homeec is to pull a thread across the grain, and cut along this thread. This gives you a true edge. Then when you place the fabric down smooth (selvedges together) if that edge is not lined up (the selveges) on the end, you need to stretch the fabric on the bias all the way down until it is straight. This way there is no distortion. Now since I have been making quilts and my pieces are so small, not a problem, however if you are making borders, can be a problem if the weave is off.

Yes, indeed.

SunlitenSmiles 07-06-2011 06:52 AM

to rip or pull a thread you make a small clip in the selvedge. I often make this several inches from the raw edge because the removed portion will have a new straight edge and can be used to cut smaller pieces.

mary0712 07-06-2011 07:14 AM

I not only rip when i am getting ready to cut fabric for quilts....in order to get a straight line i also rip when i am making simple curtains....its easy to measure the panels as well..

Divokittysmom 07-06-2011 09:06 AM

I do rip my fabric to get the straight of grain. Then I follow up with my ruler and rotary cutter to get a clean edge along the straight of grain. My fabric is now on grain with no distortion from ripping.