Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use the magnetic knife holders to keep your scissors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-magnetic-knife-holders-keep-your-scissors-t20299.html)

adrianlee 05-22-2009 07:11 PM

Hi! I have 3 of those small plastic size Folger's coffee containers for my scissors, pencils/pens and rulers. I don't let magnetics near my new sewing machine, really screw up the innerds (computer) on it.

tslowery 05-23-2009 07:19 AM

I have peg boards hanging behind sewing area and cutting wall so I have them hanging everywhere. I also have the cheap ones laying everywhere so the grandkids and husband know to get the cheap ones and not my sewing room scissors.

adrianlee 05-23-2009 07:48 AM

I'm curious, how many scissors do you have around your house? Myself, I have two in the kitchen, one in the living room where I sit cause I'm always either stitching something or crocheting. Bathroom has a small scissors for hubby's mustache and the sewing room has about 8 of them plus 4 rottery cutters. The 8 in the sewing room are: 1 for paper only, 1 applique, pinking, 2 really good ones for fabric only and 4 cheapy ones from Walmart. Oh, forget the big set of fancy cut-edge scissors for stationery/scrapbook.

Lyn 05-23-2009 12:41 PM

although they say today's computers are not as effected I just wouldn't chance it.

quiltswithdogs 05-23-2009 06:02 PM

I have a magnetic strip for knives, in my kitchen...love it there.

In my quilting room, on my cutting table, I keep my scissors and rotary cutters in coffee mugs from when I had each of my dogs; so far, I have an I Love My Minature Schnauzer (with a drawing of one), an I Love My Shetland Sheepdog (with a drawing), and Sunny the Wonder Dog (with a photo of her on it.. Border Terrier). We've decided to find our next dog at a shelter or rescue so it may be a mix breed so we'll do the photo technique again. I'll use it for coffee and tea until that one is gone. I love my pegboard, but had to find a great purpose for these special mugs to be displayed.

Cathy... quiltswithdogs

Judith 05-25-2009 09:53 AM

Use it, love em. I set mine up just in front of my sewing machine and it is very handy. Sure beats having to look for my scissors every time I need to use them!

Boston1954 05-25-2009 11:55 AM

My scissors hang on a board by the machine, or in my kit that I take with me to my quilting group.

sallybramald 05-26-2009 04:14 AM

I love that little wooden tote, brilliant idea!!!

nativetexan 05-26-2009 11:38 AM

that could work well i'm sure. i have a large block of wood, like a knife holder but for scissors. i've had it for years and years.

butterflywing 05-26-2009 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
The magnetic sounds interesting, however I'm not so sure I would want it too close to my sewing machine. It would though keep scissors safe while they are put away.

I use several different scissors while sewing and at the cutting and pressing table. I hate searching for things while I'm workng so I ended up making up a sewing tote from a flatware caddy. I can easily move this place to place. I put crafter's foam at the bottom of each section to protect the scissor tips. Most of the time the tote sits to the right of my sewing machine, taking up only 9x6 inches of space. Nearly everything that I use while sewing is in there including misting bottles, one with water and one with starch and there's even a pincushion attached to the end.

Here are a couple photos.

when i saw your carry-all and read your post, i did a doubletake! i'm such a slob in my sewing room. how could you be so neat? so i looked up your profile and checked your webshots ....AHA! i should have known! it's you! if i did that neat trick with my tools, i would probably lose the entire basket and find it two months later in the freezer. next to my shoes.