Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use pincushions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-pincushions-t190369.html)

piepatch 05-30-2012 09:29 AM

Yes, I use pin cushions consistently, couldn't sew without them.

tngal22 05-30-2012 09:35 AM

I am like you in that I have cats that like to play with the pins if they are out so I keep them in a plastic box with a snap lid (the one they actually came in) and that is where I put them back as I take them out. Pincushions are adorable and I have thought about attempting to make one but I know I would not use it so I haven't.

Lori S 05-30-2012 09:44 AM

I have two magnet "pincushions" , I have two types of basic pins, plus a regular pincushion for really fine pins. I tried to use the magnet for my superfine pins but it was hard to get them off. My fingers just found that a regular pincushion works best for the superfine pins.
I have seen some pretty amazing pincushions,and love them, some are more arty than functional, but still think they are pretty.

gollytwo 05-30-2012 09:45 AM

I love pincushions and have alot of them - a wide range, some handmade, some store bought and a couple very expensive (for a pincushion)
The two I always seem to use are handmade - one badly as a attendance gift many yrs back at a regional show and the other beautifully made by a friend,
My favorite is a mouse made by another friend; the tail is curved and stiff, holds bobbins. I never use it but it makes me smile when I look at it.

Rumbols 05-30-2012 10:13 AM

I do. I have a pincushion beside the sewing machine all the time. Of course they only have about 3 to 5 pins and a couple needels in them as I usually keep all my pins and needles in a plastic resealable tubs (like tupperware only cheaper). I am forever dropping or knocking things over and that is why I keep the pins in a resealable tub. Just call me klucksy.

QuiltnLady1 05-30-2012 10:23 AM

I have two pin cushions that are quite old -- one that I made with my hair, mom's hair and grandma's hair when I was a kid (it has counted cross stitch decoration) and the other is a little leather shoe with a pincushion on top. I love them, and use them for my hand sewing needles. I have a red tomato for my sewing machine needles. For my pins, I use the magnetic bowl things -- I have two. I don't use the wrist ones now, though I did when I had kids and I was sewing clothes.

Havplenty 05-30-2012 10:29 AM

here is a thread that pays homage to the pincushion. they are wonderful things to have whether you use them or not. a recently completed pincushion swap showcased some fun creative pincushions. some will never see a pin.:)

oh louise i am so sorry we (pincushion swappers) contributed to your collecting habit. who knew?:D

nhweaver 05-30-2012 10:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I use and collect pin cushions. I use a reproduction Shaker (Made at Canterbury Shaker Village, in NH where i was a tour guide years ago) by my sewing machine. A couple of vintage tomato cushions are above my cutting, ironing table, down stairs where I hand piece and quilt I use a combo thread, cushion, scissor, thimble wood holder that I got years ago at keepsake quilting in Center Harbor NH. Here is a pic of my cusion shelf.

Quilty-Louise 05-30-2012 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mary - HAHAHAHA it was because of an adorable owl pincushion
I got in February that got me so hooked on wanting to collect them
and then to start thinking about making my own (someday soon I hope).

Here is where I have mine hanging (for now) until I figure something
else that works better (and keep them out of cats reach).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]338857[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by Havplenty (Post 5253888)
here is a thread that pays homage to the pincushion. they are wonderful things to have whether you use them or not. a recently completed pincushion swap showcased some fun creative pincushions. some will never see a pin.:)

oh louise i am so sorry we (pincushion swappers) contributed to your collecting habit. who knew?:D

craftybear 05-30-2012 11:23 AM

Yes, I love pincushions and always searching online for more cool free patterns for pincushions

just found this one for coffee cup as you can download the free pdf pattern

http://www.joann.com/cup-saucer-pin-cushion/prod311107/