Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use pincushions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-pincushions-t190369.html)

Quilty-Louise 05-30-2012 07:26 AM

Do you use pincushions?

Do you use pincushions when you are quilting/sewing?

Do you like and/or make them?

Since joining in the secret pal swaps I have received a
several homemade pincushions and have developed a
HUGE liking for them; not to use when I am sewing but
as a sewing room decoration. I hang them up so I can
look at them when I take breaks from cutting, ironing or
sewing.

When I am sewing I tend to either drop my pins back in
the jar where I keep them, or I use a magnetic holder to
lay them on until I am done sewing then I put them all back
into the jar (I use wide mouth short 1/2 pint jars).

I have 4 cats and the 2 youngest (my avatar pic) loves to
go "exploring" in my sewing room (which is the dining room)
so to keep them safe I don't leave any pins, needles or small
sharp objects around that they can get too.

ptquilts 05-30-2012 07:32 AM

In the sewing room I have one, old pincushion that I got at a museum store about 40 years ago. (has little Asian men all around it).
In the living room where I sew, I have a basket with a hand made pincushion attached. About 1.5" x 3". I hand quilt and use very small needles. Once I unattached the pincushion, took all the pins out, and started squeezing it to find lost needles. Do you know I found FIFTY needles in that pincushion - 30 quilting and 20 larger.

crafterrn1 05-30-2012 07:32 AM

I love pin cushions I use them and have some just to look at. I understand about your fur babies. We must keep them safe! Luann

crafty pat 05-30-2012 07:34 AM

I could not sew without a pincushion. I have worn out several in my sewing life time.

huntannette 05-30-2012 07:35 AM

I do use a pin cushion all the time...actually it is a basket with a cushion top....I bought it on a trip in 1977....and i still use it everytime i sew.....keeps all my pins and needles in one place, but it does look like a mess...ha ha ha... I never use the basket part but i should....it could contain a lot of thread....

auntpiggylpn 05-30-2012 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5253521)
In the sewing room I have one, old pincushion that I got at a museum store about 40 years ago. (has little Asian men all around it).
In the living room where I sew, I have a basket with a hand made pincushion attached. About 1.5" x 3". I hand quilt and use very small needles. Once I unattached the pincushion, took all the pins out, and started squeezing it to find lost needles. Do you know I found FIFTY needles in that pincushion - 30 quilting and 20 larger.

Holy cow!!!!! I don't use a pin cushion. I just drop them back into their plastic box. I have a couple with pins in them but they are the pins that I don't like. I only use them if I can't find the ones I like.

spokanequilter 05-30-2012 07:41 AM

I have several pincushions in my sewing room - actually I collect them. I have one or two by my sewing machine, one on my cutting table and one by the ironing board. And a few other sitting around on the shelves for decoration. I like having them scattered around because then I'm not reaching for one behiind me when I need. I pin long seams on my cutting table and then remove the pins as I sew. If I have pin cushions everywhere, there's always one near when I need it. I also have a magnetic bowl of larger pins on my quilting frame which is nice because it doesn't spill, but I'm always sticking myself when I reach into it.

sweet 05-30-2012 07:58 AM

I love the few pincushions I have. My favorite one has a little story behind it. Ya see, since we live close to a couple of nice family friendly Mardi Gras parades here, one of the throws are stuffed animals. The one I'm talking about is a real "inexpensive" fabric doggie. Well, it was upstairs in the garage storage and one day I see Belle (brown Lab) walking around the yard with it in her mouth. She had just gone upstairs to get it. Well, it ended up being a great pincushion because I can separate different pins on the different parts of the dog. Belle has long since passed but I get to hold on to the fond memories of her.

feline fanatic 05-30-2012 08:31 AM

I have 2 pin cushions but wish I had a 3rd for my LA room, the kind with an elastic band you can stick on your wrist like tailors use. I hate using the little plastic box. To me it is so much easier to grab one pin at a time from a cushion.

joysewer 05-30-2012 09:06 AM

I use the pincushions that are attached to my thread catcher bag. I collect pincushions and make a lot of them. I have over 50 and keep them on shelves made for them.