Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use polyester batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-polyester-batting-t35427.html)

Dina 01-29-2010 09:50 AM

I am a new quilter, and I am trying to decide if I should use the polyester batting that I bought before many of my new quilting friends told me that they use only cotton or 20/80 (I think that is what they called it.)

I really want to use the batting I bought, but I sure don't want to mess up my quilt. Any advice would be appreciated.

Marjpf 01-29-2010 09:52 AM

I used to use the polyester until I discovered warm and natural. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it just has a different feel and drape. There are still occasional projects I do that I want a higher loft and then go back to the polyester.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-29-2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
I used to use the polyester until I discovered warm and natural. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it just has a different feel and drape. There are still occasional projects I do that I want a higher loft and then go back to the polyester.

I have used both, but I now buy warm and natural.

Dina 01-29-2010 10:16 AM

Okay, so it sounds like using the polyester is okay, but when I buy new batting, I should buy Warm and Natural. Is polyester fluffier then? Or is Warm and Natural equally fluffy?

Maride 01-29-2010 10:18 AM

I only use polyesther when I make trapunto and want a higher loft.

Katrine 01-29-2010 10:19 AM

I use Quilters Dream Polyselect for wall hangings now and again - especially if I' m making them for children.
And their Dream Puff is lovely for a lap quilt to snuggle under.

Tink's Mom 01-29-2010 10:21 AM

Poly is fluffier...I use it for some baby quilts that I sell...only the cheapies. Some people will only pay so much and the poly can keep the price down a bit. If it is something that I am putting togeather as a gift or as a 'nice' quilt, I use either warm and natural or the 80/20.

littlehud 01-29-2010 10:26 AM

I love my poly batting for some projects. The loft is great. Otherwise I use warm and natural. My kids are sleeping under lots of quilts with poly batting in them and I've heard no complaints.

BellaBoo 01-29-2010 10:43 AM

I really like Fairfield Traditional Poly Batting. It feels soft and has some body but not puffy. It's easy to hand quilt too. I prefer wool or silk batting but don't use in every quilt. Most of the time I use Warm and Natural. But I'll buy whatever is on sale as long as it isn't the stiff cobwebby batting.

weezie 01-29-2010 10:55 AM

Not normally, but I wanted light weight, high loft, and flame retardant batting for a small child's quilt and the polyester was perfect. It was the only time I've used it and, in fact, I liked it so much, I might use more of it for lighter weight, fluffier bed and lap quilts. I know some people who don't like the weight of a quilt with cotton or 80/20 batting and can't sleep under them. I've never used wool, but it is so tempting.

To answer your question, Warm & Natural is not fluffy.