Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you use polyester batting?

I am a new quilter, and I am trying to decide if I should use the polyester batting that I bought before many of my new quilting friends told me that they use only cotton or 20/80 (I think that is what they called it.)

I really want to use the batting I bought, but I sure don't want to mess up my quilt. Any advice would be appreciated.

I used to use the polyester until I discovered warm and natural. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it just has a different feel and drape. There are still occasional projects I do that I want a higher loft and then go back to the polyester.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I used to use the polyester until I discovered warm and natural. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it just has a different feel and drape. There are still occasional projects I do that I want a higher loft and then go back to the polyester.
    I have used both, but I now buy warm and natural.

Okay, so it sounds like using the polyester is okay, but when I buy new batting, I should buy Warm and Natural. Is polyester fluffier then? Or is Warm and Natural equally fluffy?

I only use polyesther when I make trapunto and want a higher loft.

I use Quilters Dream Polyselect for wall hangings now and again - especially if I' m making them for children.
    And their Dream Puff is lovely for a lap quilt to snuggle under.

Poly is fluffier...I use it for some baby quilts that I sell...only the cheapies. Some people will only pay so much and the poly can keep the price down a bit. If it is something that I am putting togeather as a gift or as a 'nice' quilt, I use either warm and natural or the 80/20.

I love my poly batting for some projects. The loft is great. Otherwise I use warm and natural. My kids are sleeping under lots of quilts with poly batting in them and I've heard no complaints.

Blog Entries
    I really like Fairfield Traditional Poly Batting. It feels soft and has some body but not puffy. It's easy to hand quilt too. I prefer wool or silk batting but don't use in every quilt. Most of the time I use Warm and Natural. But I'll buy whatever is on sale as long as it isn't the stiff cobwebby batting.

Not normally, but I wanted light weight, high loft, and flame retardant batting for a small child's quilt and the polyester was perfect. It was the only time I've used it and, in fact, I liked it so much, I might use more of it for lighter weight, fluffier bed and lap quilts. I know some people who don't like the weight of a quilt with cotton or 80/20 batting and can't sleep under them. I've never used wool, but it is so tempting.

To answer your question, Warm & Natural is not fluffy.

I used to use poly batting, and still do like the feel of it. But once I've used up what I have, will probably only use warm and natural for one simple reason...

I've found that the cotton batting seems to have less chance of moving/slipping as I'm pinning and basting. I don't know if I'm not pinning careful enough, but the quilt top and backing seem to stick to it better.

I like to use cotton batting from Hobbs, which I purchase at Hobby Lobby

I don't like to use polyester mainly because I think it makes the quilt thicker and stiffer. For the past several months, I've bought only Warm & Natural or Warm & Natural White. It does up beautifully!

I really appreciate all of this input. I know enough now to realize there is nothing wrong with polyester batting, but I may find other batting I prefer. I sort of want light and fluffy for this quilt that will go on a bed. It sounds like what I have will work just fine.

Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    I don't think there is anything wrong with using the polyester. Not sure how well it washes and if you have to be careful with the dryer temperature. Polyester needs to be quilted more closely than some of the cottons. It also gives a fluffier look. You decide if you like it.

Warm and Natural or Warm and White represent only one type/brand of cotton batts - it seems to be quite popular. They are my favorites. According to the website, it can be quilted or tied up to 10" apart.

I'd suggest picking up a few different battings and try them to find out what you like.

I use many different battings for different kinds of quilts but like a poly one for baby and kid quilts, it's nice and soft and lightweight. I know these will be put in the washer and dryer many, many times and poly is quick drying. DGD Josi has one I made 12 years ago and the poly batting has held up wonderfully. Check on the batting package as to how close your quilting needs to be - this will keep the batting in place. One problem some have had with poly batts is that it can 'beard' through dark fabrics in your quilt, that is you'll see some white fuzzy beard like stuff on the dark fabrics. Dream Quilters has great poly batting and I've never had it "beard" on me. May in Jersey

Blog Entries
    I to use both types of batting, depending on my projects. If it's going to be wash alot and often I use the poly bat. My new favorite that I use only for my quilts is Bamboo. I've been wanting to try wool, but after happened to one of the ladies on this board I'm afraid to.

Blog Entries
    The only thing I don't like about using polyester is that if you accidentally hit it with the iron, you lose all of the loft... I need to remember the quilts DON'T need to be pressed when finished :oops:

I only use polyeste, I never iron a finished quilt and I FMQ so stitching close is not a problem. It is very warm and light weight, I use high loft, since I give most of my quilt away, I figure whatever I do is okay. I dry quilts on low heat.

I am a longarm quilter and use several different batts. I do like polyester batt especially if I have a quilt that some blocks have some fullness in them. Personally, I am not fond of Warm & Natural because it is too flat. If I want a cotton batt, I prefer Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 blend. I also like using Bamboo instead of W&N, nice loft, good stitch definition and doesn't shrink as bad as W&N.

If using poly batt, I do suggest NOT buying packaged batts. You cannot see how well it is bonded. My poly batting is dense and looks like a blanket. I can quilt loose or dense and still have softness.

poly batting comes in different lofts. so if you like to show off your stitching, you might go for a high loft. if you want a flatter look, there are low lofts available.
    they weigh a lot less and some people think they're warmer for the weight, because they do hold in body heat (they don't breathe). every cheapo quilt i ever had had the cheapest poly batting in the world and it never melted in the dryer.

if you like the puckery look of a cotton quilt that's been washed, poly won't do that. the polyester won't shrink enough to pucker. and you should preshrink the fabric before you use it, so the fabric doesn't shrink later and pull the poly up with it. but there's nothing wrong with it. it all depends on the look you want and the feel you like.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Damkina
    I used to use poly batting, and still do like the feel of it. But once I've used up what I have, will probably only use warm and natural for one simple reason...

I've found that the cotton batting seems to have less chance of moving/slipping as I'm pinning and basting. I don't know if I'm not pinning careful enough, but the quilt top and backing seem to stick to it better.
    I've switched to using cotton batting most of the time for the same reason Damkina did.

Polyester batting is definitely less expensive. I think it's easier to hand-quilt, too. I also don't have a lot of success using spray basting on poly batting. So, if i really need to cut down the cost of a project or i want to hand-quilt i use poly. I just have to force myself to do a lot more basting.

When I'm really squeezing the pennies 'til they scream for mercy, i go to WalMart and buy the bargain brand blankets. a twin sells for less than $5. i toss it into the wash in hot water, then into the dryer on high. it's ready to go. they're too thick to hand-quilt easily, but they work and feel almost like cotton - except for the need to baste closely (like 2" apart with either pins or stitching.)

I use Warm & Natural and love it. I have used poly in a couple of quilts for the fluffy look. I made a quilt that reminded me of a granny quilt and tied it and it just seemed right to use poly for this one. Some times the Warm & Natural is heavy but when it is washed a few times it seems to soften up and be lighter.

I use mostly polyester battings because I like the puffy look and the price is reasonable. For baby quilts I esp. like the batting on a roll that is sometimes available at JoAnn's. (It's about 48" wide and is so much handier to just unroll instead of having to deal with a bigger batt.) My grandkids have used and used their quilts with that batting and it has held up well with heavy use. Recently a friend gave me a high loft poly batt and I'm having trouble with it shifting as I quilt. I usually use a low loft batt and love it for both machine and hand quilting.

Blog Entries
    It is just personal preference, i use W&N or W&W that i buy off the roll. always with a coupon or on sale. I have the other types, and it just depends on the look i want.
    you will see,when you start quilting..just be sure to follow the package instructions for the inches needed in between..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast