Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use polyester batting? >

Do you use polyester batting?

Do you use polyester batting?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 AM

I used to use poly batting, and still do like the feel of it. But once I've used up what I have, will probably only use warm and natural for one simple reason...

I've found that the cotton batting seems to have less chance of moving/slipping as I'm pinning and basting. I don't know if I'm not pinning careful enough, but the quilt top and backing seem to stick to it better.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 AM

I like to use cotton batting from Hobbs, which I purchase at Hobby Lobby
Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 PM

I don't like to use polyester mainly because I think it makes the quilt thicker and stiffer. For the past several months, I've bought only Warm & Natural or Warm & Natural White. It does up beautifully!
Old 01-29-2010, 01:26 PM

I really appreciate all of this input. I know enough now to realize there is nothing wrong with polyester batting, but I may find other batting I prefer. I sort of want light and fluffy for this quilt that will go on a bed. It sounds like what I have will work just fine.

Thanks!!
Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I don't think there is anything wrong with using the polyester. Not sure how well it washes and if you have to be careful with the dryer temperature. Polyester needs to be quilted more closely than some of the cottons. It also gives a fluffier look. You decide if you like it.

Warm and Natural or Warm and White represent only one type/brand of cotton batts - it seems to be quite popular. They are my favorites. According to the website, it can be quilted or tied up to 10" apart.

I'd suggest picking up a few different battings and try them to find out what you like.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:55 PM

I use many different battings for different kinds of quilts but like a poly one for baby and kid quilts, it's nice and soft and lightweight. I know these will be put in the washer and dryer many, many times and poly is quick drying. DGD Josi has one I made 12 years ago and the poly batting has held up wonderfully. Check on the batting package as to how close your quilting needs to be - this will keep the batting in place. One problem some have had with poly batts is that it can 'beard' through dark fabrics in your quilt, that is you'll see some white fuzzy beard like stuff on the dark fabrics. Dream Quilters has great poly batting and I've never had it "beard" on me. May in Jersey
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 PM

I to use both types of batting, depending on my projects. If it's going to be wash alot and often I use the poly bat. My new favorite that I use only for my quilts is Bamboo. I've been wanting to try wool, but after happened to one of the ladies on this board I'm afraid to.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

The only thing I don't like about using polyester is that if you accidentally hit it with the iron, you lose all of the loft... I need to remember the quilts DON'T need to be pressed when finished :oops:
Old 01-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

I only use polyeste, I never iron a finished quilt and I FMQ so stitching close is not a problem. It is very warm and light weight, I use high loft, since I give most of my quilt away, I figure whatever I do is okay. I dry quilts on low heat.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 PM

I am a longarm quilter and use several different batts. I do like polyester batt especially if I have a quilt that some blocks have some fullness in them. Personally, I am not fond of Warm & Natural because it is too flat. If I want a cotton batt, I prefer Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 blend. I also like using Bamboo instead of W&N, nice loft, good stitch definition and doesn't shrink as bad as W&N.

If using poly batt, I do suggest NOT buying packaged batts. You cannot see how well it is bonded. My poly batting is dense and looks like a blanket. I can quilt loose or dense and still have softness.