Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use polyester batting? >

Do you use polyester batting?

Do you use polyester batting?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the new website.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:15 PM

My Daughter in Law used polyester on a couple of quilts and it really clogged up her machine.
make sure you clean out the lint very often and you should be alright with it.
I know I have a roll of it to and wondered if I should use it or not?
I really like Warm and Natural and i bought a whole bolt of it.
good luck kjym Kathy
Old 01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

I have used Warm and Natural for every quilt but the first. I do not find anything wrong with the other, but if you are unsure in your heart, you might donate it to someplace that makes them for charity.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:14 PM

I use warm and natural batting. I hand quilt and find the polyester too fluffy for tiny stitches. I like a flatter look to my quilts. No matter what kind of batting you decide on, read the manufacturer's instructions - is it good for hand quilting, machine quilting and how far apart your quilting stitches can be. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:47 PM

I never use polyester. I love Warm and Natural cotton or Quilter's Dream. I have also used wool and bamboo-both are great.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:31 PM

I have only used Warm and Natural it is so easy to work with.
Good luck and keep quilting

cassiemae :-)
Old 01-30-2010, 06:41 PM

i am a Warm and Natural user i did a couple of quilts with polyester only so they would be puffy but by far once you try Warm and natural i think you will like it, Jo anns has it on sale 50% most of the time but really it is up to the way you like your quilt to look and feel remember most of the time in quilting it is what you like !!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Warm and Natural is a low loft all cotton batting. If you want sections of your quilt to stand out (be puffier), then use the polyester - which has a higher loft......Whenever I can, I use the Hobbs 80/20 - 80% cotton, 20% polyester...stands up well to heavy use and machine washing and drying.....can be quilted pretty far apart.....I do like the warm and natural when I am doing something that will be heavily quilted. Hope this helps explain the difference.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by penski
i am a Warm and Natural user i did a couple of quilts with polyester only so they would be puffy but by far once you try Warm and natural i think you will like it, Jo anns has it on sale 50% most of the time but really it is up to the way you like your quilt to look and feel remember most of the time in quilting it is what you like !!!!
I too am a W & N user, buying a huge roll at a time with a coupon. I've done alot of rag quilts and the cotton batt is perfect. Also, I don't usually prewash my fabric so when I'm finished with a quilt and wash it for the first time, I like the old fashioned look. Some people I know like to use the 4 oz. polyester batting for tying charity quilts and children's and the 2 oz. poly for larger quilts. I once bought the 8 oz. poly batt and will never do that again, too hard to sew around the edges. I also like the 80/20. Mostly, it depends on the project.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:20 PM

I always use poly batting, usually low/medium loft. I like the fat batt for tied quilts. I usually quilt fairly closely on a Tin Lizzie and clean the bobbin area often. There seems to be more lint with the poly batting and cotton thread that I use. I like the light weight of poly and the price is good too. I only make quilts to be used, not heirlooms.