Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you usually make a test block before making your quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-usually-make-test-block-before-making-your-quilts-t60381.html)

Twisted Quilter 08-20-2010 02:36 PM

The only test block I've done was on my very first try at quilting on a Log Cabin block. Actually I did 2 test blocks and both were bad. Never did come out right so I moved on. Whoever said that the Log Cabin is a beginner's block was incorrect, IMHO.

LittleMo 08-20-2010 02:39 PM

No, I jump in the deep end. My avatar is 'the deep end' I made this purely from fabric I had bought at garage sales and Op-Shops, as I wanted one the same pattern, different colours for my own bed. Quite by accident, I made a colourwash quilt and now its my favourite.

I did make it again in my expensive fabrics, but its not nearly as nice as the avatar. I will post both in the pics section and you tell me what you think.

craftybear 08-20-2010 02:40 PM

thank you!

Originally Posted by LittleMo
No, I jump in the deep end. My avatar is 'the deep end' I made this purely from fabric I had bought at garage sales and Op-Shops, as I wanted one the same pattern, different colours for my own bed. Quite by accident, I made a colourwash quilt and now its my favourite.

I did make it again in my expensive fabrics, but its not nearly as nice as the avatar. I will post both in the pics section and you tell me what you think.

sewhappy30 08-20-2010 03:44 PM

No I haven't made test blocks yet, but after reading here I like the idea of eventually turning them into a sampler.

Thanks for that "Wow what a great idea" moment. LOL

sueisallaboutquilts 08-20-2010 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by LittleMo

Little Mo, that is one gorgeous quilt!! :thumbup:

pab58 08-20-2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
No, but it is a great idea. I heard of one lady that makes a test patch from Christmas fabrics and then when she has enough for a quilt she puts them all together as a sampler. Clever idea.

I've been thinking that I want to do this, too. Right now I just jump right in and either sink or swim! :oops: 99.9% of the time I don't drown! :lol:

Stitchnripper 08-20-2010 05:30 PM

Not yet, but, sounds like a good idea.

dphelps 08-20-2010 05:43 PM

I have to say yes I do when I think the pattern may be difficult and No when I am pretty sure of myself and my fabric selection.

Baysidegal 08-20-2010 05:52 PM

I do..using scrap fabric just to get the size right.

jazzy519 08-20-2010 06:09 PM

I always do sometimes you just dont like the block.