Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you usually make a test block before making your quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-usually-make-test-block-before-making-your-quilts-t60381.html)

gollytwo 08-20-2010 06:44 PM

Never
But it's caused me grief.

littlehud 08-20-2010 07:39 PM

It makes sense to do it but I usually don't. :oops: :oops: :oops:

lazyquilter 08-20-2010 08:12 PM

when I am starting on a new type of a block or pattern, I have to make a test block due to one I'm making now. I needed to be very sure of which part of the braid was added to the correct side. So far so good.

On another level I like to make a practive block if I'm almost postive this is the fabric set I want to use together. When you are laying fabrics to look out, they can look mighty different after you make a block, then realized you don't care for it and you have cut your fabric in advance.

Matilda 08-20-2010 08:24 PM

No, I don't. I just want to get the quilt done and enjoy it.

quilt3311 08-21-2010 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
No, but it is a great idea. I heard of one lady that makes a test patch from Christmas fabrics and then when she has enough for a quilt she puts them all together as a sampler. Clever idea.

Thanks for sharing this, thats what I will do and have a "free" quilt in the end. Might be hard putting it together as I do different size blocks, but sounds like fun.

ngabrielle 08-21-2010 04:05 AM

Luv the idea of doing test block with Christmas fabric. You end up with a wonderful holiday theme quilt. I was always concerned of spending mths sewing a theme quilt for a very short holiday period. But I love the idea of building it as I sew up test block. Tks for the idea

nana2 08-21-2010 04:40 AM

When working on new patterns, ALWAYS!!! And even after I get out the fabrics that I am planning to use, I cut just enough to make the first few blocks. I still make a few things like blouses so when I have a new pattern I sometimes use some undesirable fabrics that I've had on hand and make a "fitting" garmet. There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in sizes these days.

nana2 08-21-2010 04:40 AM

When working on new patterns, ALWAYS!!! And even after I get out the fabrics that I am planning to use, I cut just enough to make the first few blocks. I still make a few things like blouses so when I have a new pattern I sometimes use some undesirable fabrics that I've had on hand and make a "fitting" garmet. There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in sizes these days.

Rettie V. Grama 08-21-2010 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you usually make a test block before making your quilts?

I thought it would be a good idea that way you will see if you like the block before cutting up all of your fabric.

Your thoughts please! Thanking you in advance.

Craftybear

Yes, I do! Virginia

Rettie V. Grama 08-21-2010 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you usually make a test block before making your quilts?

I thought it would be a good idea that way you will see if you like the block before cutting up all of your fabric.

Your thoughts please! Thanking you in advance.

Craftybear

Yes, I do! Virginia