Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-visit-your-local-quilt-shops-regularly-t51270.html)

Babs194068 06-28-2010 03:42 PM

My quilt shop greets everyone who walks through the door, even if they just stopped in for a question or directions. She says you never know when you might make a customer just by being friendly and if not well at least you were friendly and didn't leave a bad impression on the person when they left. You won't find nicer people anywhere.

Twisted Quilter 06-29-2010 08:33 AM

Only if I have a coupon. :P

Bevsie 06-29-2010 05:47 PM

Hi,

I work part time at my LQS. We always greet and ask customers if we can help them find something or help them with anything. We don't hover, nothing bugs me more than going into a shop and have the worker hover next to me continually. We ask, get a reply, and then either help or tell them to ask if they should need anything....and we check back with them in a bit.

The owner of the shop I work at is fantastic with names...she remembers first names of people who come in just once a year when they come to town to visit Grandma! Amazing! It really impresses the customer, too

Bev

dotcomdtcm 06-29-2010 06:49 PM

I'm going to City Quilter tomorrow! I leave a nice amount of my
funds there. I take classes & the people are nice & helpful!

seamstome 06-29-2010 07:00 PM

I frequent LQS all over the US. Some are better than others. The selection really, really varies as does the customer service. My truly local quilt store is schizophrenic depending on which owner you get. My favorite actually does not have the best service but does have the best selection. My friend is picky about them greeting you, personally I am more interested in stocking what I want.

I also think it is what you bring into the CS relationship. Yes everyone should be greeted but you as the customer may be giving off body language that you are not aware of. Or it could be they just have bad employees. Those that work with the public everyday know what I am saying. Certain people are hard to read and the less confident salesperson will step back. My GF tells me how she was shunned in this shop or that one. Then she walks in with me and most times, not always, has a different experience.

I have a friend who owns a bookstore. Reading like quilting is a hobby. Her store is wonderful and is uber successful. Anyway, she brought up a great point. Once B/N or Amazon is the only game in town, then they control the market.

I buy notions at Joann's and Hancock's but I support all those women who love quilting so much that they are willing to step out there and put themselves on the line to own a LQS which is usually not a money maker. Some are better business people than others and more suited to CS and you can tell by their success if it was a wise choice. But really think if you could deal with all the hassles of having a LQS, I know even though I could, I would not because IMHO just as we have noticed here, you cannot please people.

Once you lose the LQS, you lose the advanced classes, advice, support and knowledge that is provided there. You arent going to get that at Walmart or Joann's or any other online oe ebay store.

dixiechunk 06-29-2010 07:12 PM

Well said!

patricej 06-30-2010 01:14 AM

what i'm "getting" from this conversation is that most people are happy with the LQS(s) they shop in. lots of people wish they could shop LQS. and just about everybody is sad to see one close.

we're also learning a lot - although nothing really surprising - about what keeps an LQS in business. having a good selection rates as fairly important, but the way the owners and staff make their customers feel about the experience is the most common reason described by the loyal shoppers.

i think LQS must be the theme parks of the fabric world. if they make it warm, welcoming and fun we want to go and keep going because the overall experience feels worth the expense - if and when we can afford it.

Teresa 54 06-30-2010 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
I'm going to City Quilter tomorrow! I leave a nice amount of my
funds there. I take classes & the people are nice & helpful!

I am from Brooklyn and live in PA now. I go to The city quilter also. Have fun! I am going to NY to visit family this weekend - but they have me booked-no time for quilt shops.
I am visiting my friends (quilters) in South Salem/Vista NY in westchester Cty in a few weeks, on that trip, we jump on the RR to NYC and go quilt fabric shopping! love it!

phoenixquilter 06-30-2010 06:41 AM

Hi, I do go to my local quilt shop about once a month (they are across the street from my doctor's office - convenient!). I like the shop but they are starting to limit the choices of fabric. They mainly sell Moda and maybe a couple of other brands. Some of the ladies are very helpful but a couple are very grouchy. I also am on a fixed income so I usually buy fat quarters or if something is on sale. Earlier this month I bought 3 yards because it was 50% off. I do get notions when they are on sale. I can only support the LQS when they have something on sale.

Bev 06-30-2010 04:11 PM

I shop at my LQS as often as I can afford to. I would love to shop more often, but we all know how that goes. Food on the table has to come first, unfortunately. I don't buy my fabric anyplace else because I want my quilts to hold up well. I also want to help my LQS stay open. It's a magical place where the staff is like family, and the classes are great. They also have a small "lunch only" cafe connected to the shop. You could just stay all day. And believe me you'd be welcome to do just that. I used to live in a small city where our only quilt shop had to close. It was sad for all of us. So I know the feeling. I'm sorry that had to happen to yours. :cry: