Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone else do Block of the Month Clubs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-else-do-block-month-clubs-t183387.html)

jcrow 03-19-2012 03:34 PM

Does anyone else do Block of the Month Clubs?

I have 6 block of the month clubs I'm in. No, make that 7 now. And I have 12 BOMs that I never started. Just sitting all together. I wish I would have never started them. I'm always making a quilt when the new block shows up so I put it in a pile and never get to them. I've made some, but have more to do than I want to. And it seems that the blocks are pretty dang hard. One has 81 pieces. Well, I'll never do that one. That's 81 pieces for a 12 1/2 x 12 1/2" block! Sounds crazy to me. Anyone else doing BOMs and wishing they didn't join the clubs? :eek:

dunster 03-19-2012 03:49 PM

hmmm...I was just about to respond when I saw the quote in your signature line. And you continue to join BOMs? LOL

I don't do BOM's that require that I do something on a schedule, or that I buy something at inflated prices. And that means I don't usually do them at all. I did just one BOM with a LQS, and it was semi-enjoyable, but I didn't care that much for the quilt I made with the blocks I made (the LQS chose the fabrics), didn't feel that I learned anything from making the blocks, and I didn't like the blocks that I "won" at all. But I have saved a bunch of patterns from the internet of various free BOM's and might make some of those... someday...

BMP 03-19-2012 04:05 PM

I did one last year at our LQS, I never touched it ...I even bought all the finishing fabric too !! I guess someday when I dont have any other project to do I will get it out...with that I wont do one again.

Peckish 03-19-2012 04:08 PM

I did one. That was enough for me.

faykilgore 03-19-2012 04:13 PM

I've done some BOM's that I REALLY, REALLY liked the blocks and had a plan when I joined. Those I finished. Most of them were when I started quilting and was still rather unfocused. Now I have too many planned projects, with purchased fabric, to even be tempted to start a BOM. I do remember the fun being returning to the LQS with finished block in hand to compare to the other participants. On that one, you purchased the first block, then if you returned on the first Sat of the next month with that block finished, you got the next block free. If you got behind you could purchase the block kits for $5. They made their money on the finishing kit; borders, binding, etc. I ended up donating that quilt to the local chapter of nurse-midwives to raffle as a fund raiser.
I also laughed when I read your signature!

thepolyparrot 03-19-2012 04:29 PM

I did the Civil War BOW on Barbara Brackman's blog and that was great fun.

I did one BOM at our LQS called "Christmas Windows" - there's a photo album of the finished applique blocks in my profile. I haven't put the plain ivory sashings on it or assembled it, but all the really time-consuming part is done.

I did another one at the LQS called "Lady of the Lake" and it's basted and ready for me to start quilting - it's about 116" square, though, so I'm dragging my feet. Wrestling this much fabric through a domestic machine makes me tired just thinking about it.

The last BOM I joined is "Baltimore Christmas" from Stichin' Heaven - I haven't even opened the first package and I think I have seven of them piled up, now. I'm not signing up for ONE MORE BOM until all of these are finished. My studio is already looking like one of those Hoarder tv shows. :D

stampinteresa 03-19-2012 04:32 PM

My aunt and I did one at Hancock Fabrics in 2005; "Lewis and Clark Expedition". Ok, we started it together. I continued then, we would meet and do hers. She then moved away( VA to LA). When planning to come to Indy to stay with daddy, she suggested I bring them and finish the tops. I did and she is thrilled. I took a break from mine and finished some other projects; plan to put my borders on this week. I loved the experience and the fun with the other women. I would do it again with a friend. It was more fun when we met together to sew them up. But we had a great teacher. Thanks for listening, Teresa

leatheflea 03-19-2012 04:48 PM

I like to do them online. I can collect the patterns and do them on my time. The local LQS has one that I'm doing, well I'm actually teaching as I'm doing. When I get the pattern at the end of the month I make the block out of my own stash first and then teach it in the following weeks to a couple of ladies that are new to quilting. What I'm finding is that the patterns are geared toward buying more rulers and supplies from the store. Being a seasoned quilter I refuse to use the shops rulers if I can do a different way. They even have changed the patterns to make them more complicated in order to sell a ruler. I teach the block without the rulers. One of the gals in my class bought the ruler, I told her if she wanted to use it fine but I refuse to do the extra piecing. Its the first and the last LQS BOM for me. However I will say that it has given the gals that I'm teaching alot of experience in different techniques.

Currently I'm working on several Internet BOM's and love them. Theres no sales pitch and no pressure to finish. Two of them ask that you buy the last block to finish the quilt. I don't have a problem with that if its a good design and it is.

Sandra-P 03-19-2012 04:53 PM

I have done Civil War Bride, now doing Reaching Out from Edyta Sitar. I love to get the stuff in the mail each month, though they do seem a bit pricey.

QuiltnLady1 03-19-2012 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5074349)
I did one. That was enough for me.

Me too -- the pieces are still not assembled.