Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone else do Block of the Month Clubs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-else-do-block-month-clubs-t183387.html)

Rose Marie 03-20-2012 06:18 AM

BOMs are way over priced so dont do them.
Bought one kit for $200, as a block of month it was even more. So far I have done 4 blocks in over a year. It is the Back To Nature quilt pattern and love it. But they did not include a cutting layout so hope I have enough fabric. At least it is batiks so can easily find a good match if I do run out.
Will not buy a kit again, it is much easier to get a pattern then buy fabrics separate.

QuiltingCrazie 03-20-2012 07:19 AM

I've never done one, too pricey for me!!...I sound broke lol I'm not but have a fabric budget and am very careful

sweetana3 03-20-2012 11:35 AM

I do the following:
1. Buy the pattern(s) on ebay, estate sale, or other discounted place. Use my own fabric. I did this with the Civil War Tribute. I also did not sew month 10 of this pattern due to its crazy inset seams so I just substituted another similiar month. My top is wild and crazy and semi civil war and I love it.
2. Use ebay favorite sellers to get a complete BOM package at less than 1/2 the original cost. Got a Lori Smith and a Home for the Holidays this way.
3. Do the "buy one, bring it back and get the next kit for free" at my local LQSs. This way the 12 blocks are only $7 or so for the whole year. I use the pattern to also make multiples using my own fabric and then have several tops done.

It is just way too expensive to buy into the BOM only to have it first or new.

jcrow 03-20-2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye (Post 5075112)
I got the crafty BOM free but haven't started it yet. The good thing is that it never expires and I do think it will be. Good practice and make me do things that I may not even try on my own.

I am also doing Craftsy's free BOM and I've done all those blocks. That is the only BOM that I've done. It's wonderful! I think I'm actually doing it because there is a video for each block and the blocks are do-able. Jeanne

jcrow 03-20-2012 11:53 AM

Well, I am not alone. Some of you have said that you haven't done yours. I think if I would have joined a local one, I might do it. Also, my signature does say it all, doesn't it? Ha ha

humbird 03-20-2012 12:01 PM

I did a BOM mystery free internet "top" a few years ago. I loved the fabrics I chose, (from my stash) but wasn't fond of the finished top. Yes, it is still "just a top" I suppose I will finish it one day. Maybe. Have never done another BOM or mystery.

Cherylsea 03-20-2012 02:12 PM

I did a BOM from a shop in Indiana, in fact I made two - one for a friend and one for myself (mine still needs to be assembled!!). Am doing the free one from Craftsy and am enjoying that. Mostly they are way too expensive. I hope my quilts will be used but at $400-$500 - ack!

happyquiltmom 03-20-2012 02:50 PM

I am currently doing 2: Cotton Club and a Penny Rug-a-month and have signed up for a third to begin in June (Vintage Rouge). I am on schedule with the two.

I have finished one Elegant Gardens from the patterns by Edyta Sitar and have another top waiting to be quilted. There are 24 blocks, our shop used 12 one year and 12 the next for BOMs.

I also have 3 Thangles Buck-a-block tops waiting to be quilted.

I have all the blocks finished on the Aunt Grace Circle of Friends from last year, needs to be set together.

And, finally, I have a Patriots in Petticoats that needs to be finished as soon as my boss finds the rest of the fabric.

These are all from the LQS where I work. I do all my own quilting (hand and machine), which is why there is such a backlog.

Wow, I guess that makes 10 all together, and only one of them is finished. I have some work to do.

pattilynn 03-20-2012 09:14 PM

I do them, but I do ones that are already complete. 1 block a month is not very fun for me. My 2 daughters get together and do them, usually 3 - 6 blocks a week. A lot of fun with them and plenty of gossiping....

this is the one we are working on now.
http://www.blockcentral.com/bom2005-intro.shtml

junegerbracht 03-21-2012 03:02 AM

I go with a friend to a LQS for a BOM that is only $10 for 12 months - as long as you attend each month and listen to a short presentation (allowed one rain check) and have completed the previous month's block. Blocks are fairly simple and new techniques are presented. Of course the shop highlights its classes and products but there is no pressure to purchase - although I never seem to walk out without buying something. Teacher is friendly and class is fun!
I am not as successful with BOM that have no deadline - like the ones I have purchased from Keepsake which are beautiful but just seem to pile up.