Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone else do Block of the Month Clubs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-else-do-block-month-clubs-t183387.html)

EmiliasNana 03-21-2012 06:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have joined several BOM and love them. But like many here, usually fall behind when a "have to get done" project comes along. After the first of the year I vowed to either start and/or finish at least 3 this year. Attached is a picture of the one I have completed "Holidays at Home" from Keepsake Quilting. The other two are still being received but I have finished all the blocks I currently have and am up to date. I have two retreats planned for April and May so hope to finish another one then. Wish me luck. In the meantime the "have to get done" projects are still getting done too; it is a great feeling !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321468[/ATTACH]

jcrow 03-21-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lucy90 (Post 5078519)
I have done the Civil War Tribute, finished the top but need to pin and I want to hand quilt this one. Finished the top of Patriots & Petticoats. Will machine quilt this one. I am now working on General's Wife and love this quilt. I tend to favor the civil war quilts. I also am doing a batik block of the month but I am just saving this quilt for when I want something different to do. I also have made a few quilts in between in fact I'm trying to finish UFO's. When they are done I will post pictures. I do like doing the block of the month.

I also have Civil War Tribute's BOM and have part of one block done. For me, the blocks seem too hard. I also am doing the General's Wifes BOM and am caught up on it. I also love Civil War fabric. That's why I'm in so many BOMs. It's the Civil War fabric that gets me. I know I will never do The Civil War Tribute. I even bought all the borders for it. I might even have the backing. And I feel so guilty with it just stacked up knowing I won't do a thing with it. This is where I wish I could make a quilt without a pattern. If I could, I would make blocks that were more at my level of expertise with all of the CWT.

wendiq 03-21-2012 06:29 AM

I am doing a Civil War BOM that I bought into at a quilt show. I kind of like that I get three months at a time......I have just started doing them.....have six months worth and have done two months.....at my own speed. I do like that. Each month has a complete package inside a big package and the fabric is there for all three months. So far, good. Plenty of fabric and very thorough instructions and diagrams......But I can't say it isn't pricey......but getting the packets quarterly does save on the postage. I probably won't do it again, but "the devil made me do it" at the show........LOL!

tildiemae 03-21-2012 06:32 AM

I've started the Baltimore Christmas and my intention was to be organized and finish it every month...that didn't happen!! I also have started the Civil War diary BOM and I have a barn BOM waiting for me to start!! I've done LQS BOM's where you pay $5 and show your finished block to get the next one. I ended up with a couple of quilts that I really don't like!!! So for now I want to finish what I have before I start another but I have been tempted!!

ghk1936 03-21-2012 10:06 AM

I am doing the Craftsy BOM quilt. Can you give me others offered online? Thanks

IAmCatOwned 03-21-2012 10:30 AM

Been there done that. I'm much better. At the suggestion of my sister, Thursday is BOM day. Every Thursday, I put EVERYTHING else aside and work on my BOMs. If I have completed all the BOMs I have for that month, I work on an old BOM that required a lot of embellishing (no different from your 81 pieces).

Starting an online BOM late? If not required to be in order, I start with THIS month's BOM. For instance, I have one from fat cat patterns that I will be starting in April.

However, given that you are unable to put aside a current project just to work on the block, I don't think clubs are for your future. Wait a few years and you can buy the pattern all at once. Then pick your own fabrics.

I'm doing a BOM from my LQS that started last Nov. and am way behind on that because of various things going on with remodeling, illness and mom's surgery. The Thursday requirement is really helping me to get caught up. Part of my lack of motivation is that I'm not big on the color choice, but it's for my Mom and she loves it. I prefer buying the pattern, buying my own fabric and then following steps month by month.

Sophie2 03-21-2012 10:34 AM

I did Thimbleberries Pansy Park a few years back. It actually took me six years to finish! But it is done. I have done Buck a Block, but did not like the shop that was doing it. They also substituted fabric, cut fabric crooked, etc. I signed up for one that started in October that I have yet to start. I also have signed up for a lot of table runner, placemat, wall hangings of the month in the past. This year I have finally started doing them. I actually like having the whole year waiting on me to do - seems to motivate me more. Anyway, I do have a lot of the "Projects of the Month" waiting on me to finish. When the mood strikes me, I pick on of them up.

Sophie2 03-21-2012 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned (Post 5079212)
Been there done that. I'm much better. At the suggestion of my sister, Thursday is BOM day. Every Thursday, I put EVERYTHING else aside and work on my BOMs. If I have completed all the BOMs I have for that month, I work on an old BOM that required a lot of embellishing (no different from your 81 pieces).

Starting an online BOM late? If not required to be in order, I start with THIS month's BOM. For instance, I have one from fat cat patterns that I will be starting in April.

However, given that you are unable to put aside a current project just to work on the block, I don't think clubs are for your future. Wait a few years and you can buy the pattern all at once. Then pick your own fabrics.

I'm doing a BOM from my LQS that started last Nov. and am way behind on that because of various things going on with remodeling, illness and mom's surgery. The Thursday requirement is really helping me to get caught up. Part of my lack of motivation is that I'm not big on the color choice, but it's for my Mom and she loves it. I prefer buying the pattern, buying my own fabric and then following steps month by month.

I love your idea of setting aside a day a week to work on BOM. Maybe I will give that a try!

lovelyl 03-21-2012 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ghk1936 (Post 5079167)
I am doing the Craftsy BOM quilt. Can you give me others offered online? Thanks

There are some here on the board - go to Home and scroll down to Blocks of the Month and Week. Just make sure you join one that has you keep your blocks for yourself and not a swap. It should specify that in the first post. I am doing the 2012 BOM here and having a great time, plenty of time to finish the block and help if you need it!

nhweaver 03-21-2012 11:14 AM

I am doing the crafsty free bom online, and am enjoying it. Each block (2 per month) uses a different technique, using my fabric. I was gifted a complete Keepsake Quilting BOM/backing a dear friend had in her stash by her husband after she passed. I started in January and have kept up with a block a month. I think some of the BOM prices are outrageous.