Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone else make Barn Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-else-make-barn-quilts-t84919.html)

leonajo 12-24-2010 09:25 AM

I was wondering if anyone else make Barn Quilts out of plywood and hang on their Barns or Sheds? I have made them for several years. I hang mine on an old milk barn we converted into a garden/canning shed . I have an OhioStar up right now. I will see if I can get my daughter to take a pic so can post. The simple patterns work the best for me. If the pattern is to complicted it looks blurry from the road when u drive by.

BMP 12-24-2010 09:27 AM

I would love to have one on our garage but I am afraid our neighbors would not !!

loopywren 12-24-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by leonajo
I was wondering if anyone else make Barn Quilts out of plywood and hang on their Barns or Sheds? I have made them for several years. I hang mine on an old milk barn we converted into a garden/canning shed . I have an OhioStar up right now. I will see if I can get my daughter to take a pic so can post. The simple patterns work the best for me. If the pattern is to complicted it looks blurry from the road when u drive by.

I have never heard of this, but though I have nothing ressembling a barn, more a mousehole!!!! I would love to make one, do you paint a block pattern such as ohio star on a piece of wood?

leonajo 12-24-2010 11:15 AM

On the big barns they use to 2 full sheets( 1 sheet of plywood is 4x8') Because I only have mine on a smaller barn, I cut the plywood into 2 4 foot squares. First I sand down the board and paint on 2 coats of outdoor white paint. Then draw on ur design with pencil. I do check to sqaure up my board first. U can use any outdoor or craft paint. Use the blue esay release tape to mark ur sqares so u have sharp lines. When each section is dry u move ur fresh tape around to make the different blocks. I paint several coats of paint on each block for a truer color. When u r done with your quilt block either spay or paint on a silcone weatherproofing. I usually paint all the same color at once then move on to a different color. I have put designs in the blocks, trying to make calicos, dots etc but really does not show up from far away. I have a freiend who lives in the city, she has 1 on her garden shed. People are always stopping by to tell her much they enjoy her quilt or enquiring on how to make one. I have my block setting on a piece of white angle iron in the peak area of my shed. Then to change it all DH has to do is go up on the ladder and take out a couple of screws.

leonajo 12-24-2010 11:22 AM

If u have a LOWES handy, they will cut ur plywood sheet into the size u need for free. It is just something fun to do. When the weather is bad, sometimes I like to go out to my shop , build a fire in the wood stove and mess around with them. I'm to busy in the spring with my garden. My friend paints her's on her deck in the summer.

DebraK 12-24-2010 11:23 AM

I live in the suburbs and am thinking of putting one on my garage door ;-)

jbud2 12-24-2010 11:59 AM

I've been thinking our shed needs a quilt! Not necessarily to be seen from the road but from the kitchen window!!

aorlflood 12-24-2010 12:24 PM

I have a piece of wood to do one...but am afraid it won't look good...so haven't actually done one yet.

MinnieKat 12-24-2010 12:37 PM

I want to make a small one to put on our fence.

amma 12-24-2010 01:31 PM

I love seeing these on buildings, fences, anywhere :D:D:D