Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else make Barn Quilts

I was wondering if anyone else make Barn Quilts out of plywood and hang on their Barns or Sheds? I have made them for several years. I hang mine on an old milk barn we converted into a garden/canning shed . I have an OhioStar up right now. I will see if I can get my daughter to take a pic so can post. The simple patterns work the best for me. If the pattern is to complicted it looks blurry from the road when u drive by.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I would love to have one on our garage but I am afraid our neighbors would not !!

Quote Originally Posted by leonajo
    I was wondering if anyone else make Barn Quilts out of plywood and hang on their Barns or Sheds? I have made them for several years. I hang mine on an old milk barn we converted into a garden/canning shed . I have an OhioStar up right now. I will see if I can get my daughter to take a pic so can post. The simple patterns work the best for me. If the pattern is to complicted it looks blurry from the road when u drive by.
    I have never heard of this, but though I have nothing ressembling a barn, more a mousehole!!!! I would love to make one, do you paint a block pattern such as ohio star on a piece of wood?

On the big barns they use to 2 full sheets( 1 sheet of plywood is 4x8') Because I only have mine on a smaller barn, I cut the plywood into 2 4 foot squares. First I sand down the board and paint on 2 coats of outdoor white paint. Then draw on ur design with pencil. I do check to sqaure up my board first. U can use any outdoor or craft paint. Use the blue esay release tape to mark ur sqares so u have sharp lines. When each section is dry u move ur fresh tape around to make the different blocks. I paint several coats of paint on each block for a truer color. When u r done with your quilt block either spay or paint on a silcone weatherproofing. I usually paint all the same color at once then move on to a different color. I have put designs in the blocks, trying to make calicos, dots etc but really does not show up from far away. I have a freiend who lives in the city, she has 1 on her garden shed. People are always stopping by to tell her much they enjoy her quilt or enquiring on how to make one. I have my block setting on a piece of white angle iron in the peak area of my shed. Then to change it all DH has to do is go up on the ladder and take out a couple of screws.

If u have a LOWES handy, they will cut ur plywood sheet into the size u need for free. It is just something fun to do. When the weather is bad, sometimes I like to go out to my shop , build a fire in the wood stove and mess around with them. I'm to busy in the spring with my garden. My friend paints her's on her deck in the summer.

I live in the suburbs and am thinking of putting one on my garage door ;-)

I've been thinking our shed needs a quilt! Not necessarily to be seen from the road but from the kitchen window!!

I have a piece of wood to do one...but am afraid it won't look good...so haven't actually done one yet.

Blog Entries
    I want to make a small one to put on our fence.

Blog Entries
    I love seeing these on buildings, fences, anywhere :D:D:D

Banned
    Thank for all the info on making a barn quilt. I have a big shop that I would love to put one on. Maybe if I can talk my DH into letting me put one up I will make one.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter

If it does not turn out nice u can just repaint the board and start over. I also paint on both sides.......

Quote Originally Posted by leonajo
    On the big barns they use to 2 full sheets( 1 sheet of plywood is 4x8') Because I only have mine on a smaller barn, I cut the plywood into 2 4 foot squares. First I sand down the board and paint on 2 coats of outdoor white paint. Then draw on ur design with pencil. I do check to sqaure up my board first. U can use any outdoor or craft paint. Use the blue esay release tape to mark ur sqares so u have sharp lines. When each section is dry u move ur fresh tape around to make the different blocks. I paint several coats of paint on each block for a truer color. When u r done with your quilt block either spay or paint on a silcone weatherproofing. I usually paint all the same color at once then move on to a different color. I have put designs in the blocks, trying to make calicos, dots etc but really does not show up from far away. I have a freiend who lives in the city, she has 1 on her garden shed. People are always stopping by to tell her much they enjoy her quilt or enquiring on how to make one. I have my block setting on a piece of white angle iron in the peak area of my shed. Then to change it all DH has to do is go up on the ladder and take out a couple of screws.
    Thank you so much, I think I will try a small one for my front door.. no garage! and maybe one for my little garden too.. It would only be about 10" square, will perhaps do a four patch, I wonder if a strong calico which is sealed after would sauffice.. Will let you know once I have tried with picture if I can get my lap top to obey me. Christmas Day now.1.30am

Blog Entries
    I have always wanted to make one of these. I am not an artist and can not draw. I am afraid to try one. Maybe one day I will become brave enough.

Charlene, It is not about being and artist, its about measuring, which u do every day. It isn't any different than measuring for blocks. U don't have to freehand, I measure with a yardstick:)
    The hardest thing is waiting for the paint to dry!

Blog Entries
    I think it's a great idea. Several homes in a nearby, rural county have these on their barns, and it's such fun them to see as you ride by. A quilt shop near me has several "wooden" quilts hanging on a fence. I wish I could have one on my garage, but the condo police would probably go crazy. LOL. Fun to think about.

On a recent trip through MN, Iowa & Nebraska we specifically took backroads to get to see many of the "barn quilts" on mostly vintage barns. They were wonderful & even my hubby really enjoyed seeing them. Have numerous photos & when I figure out how to do the photo thing will attach one. Although I do not have a barn am anticipating doing one to put on my little garden house .... did not think of making them removable ..... wouldn't it be fun to have seasonal quilt squares to put up? Your tips on painting are very helpful, thanks a bunch.

Blog Entries
    in Northern Michigan there is a quilt trail with a map at the LQS you can drive around and see them...I could do this on a shed..next summer project

There are barn quilts on Etsy. Just type that in and you'll find some. One gal on there will paint any design you wish. Seasonal? What a great idea. I bet this gal would love to try that too. The one I'm thinking I saw has a store name of Unusual Creations.

Blog Entries
    Please post photos of some of your work .... this is great! And will be an
    inspiration to others.

My husband is finishing up our barn and thought it's only a small 2 stall one I'm wanting to paint a barn quilt for it. I was going to paint directly on the wall but making it on a separate piece of plywood makes more sense (why didn't I even think of that?). I can use my husband's chalk line to mark the straight lines and painting it will be so much easier (and safer) since I won't have to be on a ladder. Now the hardest thing about it will be to decide what designs to paint. I love the seasonal idea! Thank you so much for this post. I'm hoping to finish it by the spring and will post a photo. Happy holidays everyone!

Pictures please

These sound interesting. I'd love to see a picture. I once made some wooden quilts using lathing strips. They are about 10" square and I hang them on the wall, inside!
    Is there a way to post pictures on this blog?
    I'm very new to this blogging thing. I have been on Yahoo groups for a while though.
    Great Idea, the barn quilt.

http://www.greenfieldhistoricalsocie...arn-trail.html
    Hope this works...it has some pictures of quilt blocks on barns.

Here are pictures of some of the Barn Quilts that I mentioned are on Etsy under the seller name Unusual Creations.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast