Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone else? - straight line quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-else-straight-line-quilting-t259106.html)

notmorecraft 01-02-2015 11:52 PM

Does anyone else? - straight line quilting

Is it just me? Or does anyone else find straight line quilting a design take longer than fmq on a dsm? Im currently straight line sewing a design and Ive definitely spent more time doing this than I do fmq, this is the second quilt I've felt this happen with. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying and it will be nice when finished, this is just an observation. Happy 2015 everyone.

katier825 01-03-2015 03:19 AM

It's harder to keep the line straight when doing FMQ, plus using the feed dogs with the walking foot probably pulls the fabric along faster.

coffeecozy 01-03-2015 03:56 AM

A nice wandering kind of pattern is so much quicker mostly because it doesn't require all that marking. Last night I tried using some painters tape to mark my straight lines. Why didn't I try that earlier? It was quicker, it doesn't brush off while I'm working and I can see it easily.

patricej 01-03-2015 04:56 AM

it's hard to say - definitely - one way or the other.
i think it would depend a lot on how often a quilter used each method compared to the other.
i'm not at all fast using either method.
my results are not spectacular either way, either. LOL

i can usually get one done in less time doing a basic cross-hatch than i can doing FMQ.
i use a "domestic" machine, though.
if i had a long-arm rig i assume that [after lots of practice] FMQ would go much faster than straight lines & curves on the regular machine.

anybody want to donate $30 - 50k so i can test my theory? LOL

bjchad 01-03-2015 05:27 AM

I think you turn the quilt more often in strait line quilting than in FMQ which would add to the time it takes.

sewmom 01-03-2015 05:43 AM

I find a basic stipple or meander is quicker than grid work or SITD.

ManiacQuilter2 01-03-2015 12:54 PM

I have always preferred the look of hand quilting when I machine quilt my quilts. If I am doing a straight line, I always use my walking foot. Last year I was lucky to buy a brand new older version of a Bernina walking foot. I think it is important to quilt a quilt the way to give depth and perspective to the piecing of the quilt.

franc36 01-03-2015 01:42 PM

I use my walking foot for as much straight line quilting as I can do comfortably; but I find that I end up doing up at least half or more straight line quilting with my BSR. That is slower, for me, as I want to be sure my stitching is straight. I am not yet to the point that I can FMQ a straight line rapidly.

tessagin 01-03-2015 01:52 PM

The quilts I've worked on have been straight line on the diagonal. I used the painters blue tape with the light adhesive. Anytime I see it at the home improvement stores, I pick up a couple roles. I have also done cross hatch. Small child's crib size quilt.

sewingsuz 01-03-2015 02:37 PM

I have only don straight line quilting. I have don a small amount of meandering but I am not good at it YET. If and when I can stipple good I will probably say it is less time consuming.