Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone have a sewing machine tote with wheels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-have-sewing-machine-tote-wheels-t194652.html)

redtweety 07-16-2012 05:05 AM

I bought one of those scrapbooking cases with wheels at goodwill for $5.00. it holds my machine and lots of supplies. I also use a suitcase that has wheels. It holds my mat and supplies safely inside. So whatever you feel comfortable with will work.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 07-16-2012 07:01 AM

About 5 years ago I got a wheeled bag at kmart in the luggage section for about $20. It has been hauled by bus to guild meetings and stood up quite well. This is probably the right time of year - back to school sales - for finding something. Tuck your machines depth and width and height measurnents and a tape measure in your purse and happy hunting. Mine was shaped like a sports bag and I added a made to measure bag that had a "handle sleeve" that accomodated everthing I wanted to haul. I added some bubble wrap in the bottom and sides and my computerized machine was a happy camper. Good luck! hope you find something that works and is not too pricey!

scoutersmom 07-20-2012 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a tool bag with wheels from Harbor Freight Tools. It cost about $20 or so. [ATTACH=CONFIG]350275[/ATTACH]
Sorry, I guess I don't know how to put pictures or websites. I'm computer challenged. Anyway, you could go to the Harbor Freight website and look at item # 3264. I have several of these to put my machines in.

Deborahlees 07-20-2012 07:58 AM

I use one that was meant for scrapebooking, and love it, it is like a folding plastic crate covered in canvas....with pockets inside and out.....If my memory serves me right I bought in during the holiday time at Costco.....I think sometimes you need to think outside the box !!!!

Deborahlees 07-20-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by scoutersmom (Post 5379608)
I bought a tool bag with wheels from Harbor Freight Tools. It cost about $20 or so. [ATTACH=CONFIG]350275[/ATTACH]
Sorry, I guess I don't know how to put pictures or websites. I'm computer challenged. Anyway, you could go to the Harbor Freight website and look at item # 3264. I have several of these to put my machines in.

Wow.....that is one impressive tote....would use it for sure.

DonnaC 07-20-2012 10:05 AM

Have you considered buying an inexpensive luggage cart and just putting your current bag onto that? I have a luggage cart that I've used a lot bringing stuff to classes; I just pile on the various bags and bungee them on, has never created a problem. I got mine for around $20-$25.

IAmCatOwned 07-20-2012 11:11 AM

The first question to ask is how heavy is the machine that you are wheeling around? I know 3 ladies who had Berninas (25 lbs) and the Joann's tote broke. Seems that they are more designed for sergers or sewing machines that are 20 lbs or less. I would buy the one that my Bernina dealer sells (padded, great wheels), but the patterns are UGLY IMHO and I just can't keep hauling my Bernina up and down stairs (exhausting). So, instead, I'll just haul around my Brother to classes until I sell or trade it in for a Janome Gem Gold.

Sewnoma 07-20-2012 11:43 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and I don't think it'll fit into the Joann's case. I've been meaning to go to the local Ross (discount clothing store) and check their rolling luggage to see if I can find something cheap and workable there. Might be a good place to check, if they have Ross or similar stores in your area? Sometimes I see rolling luggage at thrift stores, too. Would be fun to find a kind of retro hard-case suitcase on wheels...

BellaBoo 07-20-2012 12:08 PM

One problem with not liking your wheeled case is most are not designed for sewing machines. Most rolling carts for clothes or scrapbooking offer no more protection then a cardboard box. All it took was one of my machines to have the spool spindle break off when the cart I was using turned over. It broke from the housing so not repairable. It was not an expensive machine but one I really liked to take to classes. I have the Tutto wheeled case and it's perfect. It protects the machine and rolls freely. There are several options for different weights of machine. If you have an expensive machine or a machine that is irreplaceable or just your favorite, then you why bother with totes that are not made for them? I have found several on ebay and one at an estate sale. Bernina has quality machine cases too. http://www.tuttocases.com/machineonwheels.html

Michellesews 07-20-2012 12:28 PM

I have several friends who fly with their sewing machines, and they use the rolling coolers found at Walmart for about $30.00 to tote their machines. A little heavy, but better protection for the machine. Hope this helps!