Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone remember? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-remember-t176945.html)

jaciqltznok 01-25-2012 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 4911147)
Yes, I remember them. I always doubted the accuracy. First of all, who knew how reliably they were calibrated? Secondly, if the fabric was not pulled through straight, but was pulled through in a wavy fashion, I felt I would be shortchanged (am I paranoid?). However, at least when the clerk was finished measuring, she/he could see the number of yards instead of trying to remember how many she had counted.

Dayle

yep paranoid..it was VERY hard to mess up measuring with these machines..the fabric fit in so well..BUT they did away with them when poly became the norm...harder to pull through without stretching it, hard to rip, etc....sad...I would put my machine up against any clerk these days!

auntpiggylpn 01-25-2012 07:15 PM

I was just talking to a lady at the LQS about this very thing over the weekend!!

luvstoquilt 01-25-2012 07:27 PM

I remember them at Penney's and at a local Dry Good store in Texas but didn't know what it was called. I do now thanks to UP North.

QuiltnNan 01-25-2012 07:59 PM

i remember it too. i wasn't aware that there was a name for it. i was just telling my local fabric shop manager about it last week. she's a few years younger than i am, and she doesn't even remember it.

deemail 01-25-2012 08:06 PM

what fun...thanks for sharing and thanks for the link.... it would have driven me crazy if i couldn't remember the name all weekend!!! the brown one is the version i remember... i seem to remember them usually asking "5 yds? Right?" before they would use the little cutter...... just in case they heard it wrong or you changed you mind before they cut the fabric...

CoyoteQuilts 01-25-2012 08:44 PM

I remember them too! The only problem with them was if you had any stretch to your fabric and it would short you.... The tension when pulling it through the machine stretched the fabric...

EasyPeezy 01-25-2012 08:46 PM

Some fabric stores could stand to use this machine. I ordered 7 yards of fabric and
was 10 inches short (I measured twice). I thought that was a bit much. I don't expect
anything extra even though some stores are quite generous when they measure but
give me the quantity I paid for darn it. Anyway, not sure if I want to place another
order with them. Good thing I always buy a little extra. Maybe they use a different
yard stick. Grrr.

Grandma58 01-25-2012 08:53 PM

Yes I do as well. Those were the days.

frarose 01-25-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats (Post 4910999)
Yup. Sew-Fro Fabric had them when I was a kid. Our local Hancock's uses something like it on the table roller where they cut upholstery fabric.

I was going to say the same thing. My Hancocks has one for upholstery fabric also.

auniqueview 01-25-2012 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 4911388)
Some fabric stores could stand to use this machine. I ordered 7 yards of fabric and
was 10 inches short (I measured twice). I thought that was a bit much. I don't expect
anything extra even though some stores are quite generous when they measure but
give me the quantity I paid for darn it. Anyway, not sure if I want to place another
order with them. Good thing I always buy a little extra. Maybe they use a different
yard stick. Grrr.

Did you contact them and tell them? And what was the response?