Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone remember? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-remember-t176945.html)

alleyoop1 01-26-2012 04:37 AM

Many years ago when I lived in northern New Jersey we had a fabric shop called the Rag Shop and they had those machines. Often wondered why they weren't in all fabric stores.

cowgirlquilter 01-26-2012 04:40 AM

Oh my gosh some of the earliest memories I have regarding pretty fabric were based on my momma and me going to the local jc Penney store where they used one of those machines!!!!!!

AprilG 01-26-2012 05:10 AM

I remember them too. I was fascinated by them. Boy, are we showing our age!!! Like fine wine, we just keep getting better! LOL

Jackie Spencer 01-26-2012 05:13 AM

I remember them too. Wonder why they quit using them?

Rumbols 01-26-2012 05:30 AM

I remember that machine but I don't recall what it was called. Hancock Fabrics here in Cincinnati (the store no longer exists now) used to have one and they always tore the fabric instread of cutting as the manager said he didn't want to use up the scissors cutting fabric, he would rather sell them. This one gal at Hancock used to add a couple of inches (3+) for error sake before cutting and not charge for the extra inches. I also remember when the fabric was not square on the bolt, we used to take opposite corners of the fabric and stretch it when damp and press into shape before using/ Thanks for the reminder.

taylorsgmom 01-26-2012 05:38 AM

This brings back memories of my mom shopping a fabric stores. I didn't have too many store bought items. Mom made almost all of my clothes.

sewbizgirl 01-26-2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaR (Post 4910582)
At least with it you get the exact amount of fabric not short on fabric when you got home.

Well... theoretically. It's still possible to pull the fabric too taut and stretch it a bit going through the measuregraph. This is especially the case with stretch fabrics like lycra. Once they relax, they are shorter.

I loved seeing the old machine! Thank you to whoever found the photo...

ShowMama 01-26-2012 05:51 AM

My local JCPenney also had one and I remember being fascinated by that thing. It was so neat to watch the fabric being pulled through, making the dial spin. Then the lever that would make a little cut on the edge. Just fascinating! I can't imagine why fabric stores don't use that still.

Jessie 2 01-26-2012 05:51 AM

I remember that also, I think it was in Ben Franklen store ( I know I did not spell that right) LOL
Jessie

cheaha39 01-26-2012 06:15 AM

OK, while we are remembering, do you remember that the salesgirl put you cash and the hand witten sales slip in a vacumn tube. The tube made a scary noise, when she opened the bottom door and sent the air shuttle on it's way. Soon a whir and a clunk anounced that your change was back. Montgomery Wards was the best..