Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone use this for longarm bobbin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-use-longarm-bobbin-t293646.html)

Jan in FL 12-30-2017 07:42 AM

Does anyone use this for longarm bobbin?

I am very new to longarm quilting and want all the help I can get. Specifically, I have a HQ Fusion. I saw this on a FB site and am wondering if they would be of benefit. I am struggling with bobbin tension.

https://www.amazon.com/LaPierre-Magi...+bobbin+genies

JustAbitCrazy 12-30-2017 08:42 AM

I was under the impression those were for use in the bobbin case of a dsm when free motion quilting. My longarm bobbin case has a flat spring in the case under the bobbin. Those do wear out from time to time, and need replaced. In the past when I had tension issues I couldn't seem to fix, it was because something, usually a spring, had worn out and needed replaced. I don't have a HQ, though; I have a Gammill, but I would think the same should apply to any longarm. The beauty of industrial machines is that when parts wear out they can be replaced, unlike dsm's.

selm 12-30-2017 08:50 AM

I believe you can use the bobbin genie in a longarm. The description at Amazon says it is a "M" bobbin size which is for a longarm. I may get it also as my spring is getting old.

Snooze2978 12-30-2017 10:18 AM

I know some folks do use them on their quilt machine but be sure you get the correct size for your bobbin. Most quilt machines use a "M" size bobbin, not sure what your HQ uses though.

Cari-in-Oly 12-30-2017 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 (Post 7972419)
I know some folks do use them on their quilt machine but be sure you get the correct size for your bobbin. Most quilt machines use a "M" size bobbin, not sure what your HQ uses though.

HQ machines use M class bobbins.

Cari

Macybaby 12-30-2017 11:06 AM

your HQ bobbin case should have a built in backlash spring. You should not need anything else.

The last time I was having strange tension issues it turned out I had a big lint wad in the space behind the hook assembly (you can see it when the bobbin case is out). I've started using a small vacuum to clean it out during bobbin changes, especially if I'm using cotton thread.

I struggled with tension issues on my Fusion (had Bailey before it) and after a couple of years (and about 40 quilts) I'm finally starting to feel I understand my machine. Half my problem was getting the correct tension on the quilt. I have always floated my tops.

I bought a Towa gauge, and that has been the single biggest step to the success with my LA. Now I just adjust my bobbin tension to 200, and then tweak the top as needed. The second was getting a top tension digital read out. I believe the newer machines come with this now.

Also make sure you are cleaning out under the tension spring on the bobbin case. A business card corner works great, or a paper of similar weight.

dunster 12-30-2017 01:06 PM

Some machines do best with the backlash spring, others with a bobbin genie, and sometimes it depends on the thread. If you're having problems specifically with bobbin tension, it could be that your bobbins are wound unevenly or too tight.

quiltingshorttimer 12-30-2017 08:07 PM

I do have one bobbin that I use it in but frankly think that the actual backlash springs work as well or better. I highly recommend getting a Towa gauge also.

GEMRM 12-31-2017 03:49 PM

I understand the concept of the Towa Bobbin Tension guage. Is there something similar for upper tension on a longarm?

quilttiger 01-01-2018 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7972425)
HQ machines use M class bobbins.

Cari

My Q'nique also uses M class bobbins. I use two bobbin cases, one for the bobbins with magnetic centers (magna-glide delights by Fil-Tec) - this requires removing the metal insert from the bobbin case itself) and the other with the metal insert for regular bobbins. They both work well. For tension control, the Jamie Wallen method has helped me a lot.