Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone in your family not enjoy quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-your-family-not-enjoy-quilts-t140310.html)

peaceandjoy 07-26-2011 01:32 PM

Almost everyone in my family would prefer to not have quilts. I think they don't get the connection, the love sewn into them. Ah well, I make them for myself and for gifts for others.

Shelbie 07-26-2011 01:49 PM

After gifting my good friend a blue and yellow queen sized quilt that matched her colours and decor, I was disappointed when she casually flung it over the back of the chesterfield (it's still there three years later) and barely mumbled thank-you. I'm now very careful who I make a quilt for and will not make them for silent auctions because they rarely even bring the cost of the fabric.

Shelbie 07-26-2011 01:50 PM

I now know that not everyone appreciates a quilt. That's their preference and if they really want a gift card instead, it makes my shopping very easy.

Quilt4u 07-27-2011 02:57 AM

Oh yes. But that dose not stop me from making them. They still know how much work go into them. And They do not get anything eles for X-Mass other wise.

Psychomomquilter 07-27-2011 03:09 AM

mine find the mistakes, very disheartening!

CAJAMK 07-27-2011 03:16 AM

My family likes NOTHING homemade. GRRRR

grayma 07-27-2011 03:52 AM

One of my teachers told me a story about her DIL not wanting anymore "blankets". She told us to make sure the person was "quilt worthy" before putting the time, effort and $$$ into a quilt! After seeing a quilt at a resale shop that had the label on the back "Made with Love, Gramma Nelson" and the quilt had never been laundered, it broke my heart. I didn't have the $50 that the shop was asking for it, or I would have rescued it, even though the colors weren't something I would pick. It broke my heart.

DeeBooper 07-27-2011 03:58 AM

I would make one anyways for one of them and choose the design with something they really like(for example...trains,butterflies, flowers). Make it an easy one. I'll bet they will love it and their enthusiasim may carry over to the others. If it doesn't work just make charity quilts where they are truly appreciated. Good luck....you could even make me one if you want and I will love it!...LOL

reginalovesfabric 07-27-2011 04:36 AM

my boss told me once that anyone that "made" gifts did it because they were cheap. He didn't refuse the quilt I made hime for Christmas one year. My daughter and one brother like my quilts. I now am getting a new son in law who told me he LOVED quilts, and my respone, good I'm running out of people to give them to.

lsmft 07-27-2011 04:43 AM

We all quilt for OUR OWN pleasure 1st! I don't like the jewelry that a friend spends hours creating, and I don't like the style of art that another friend paints. Just because someone puts hours of work and love into their art doesn't mean someone else likes it!

Quilts don't fit into everyone's style. My daughter has seen quilts she is blown away by because of design, color, workmanship, etc. She appreciates them but does not see one fitting into her decor. Once in awhile I will send photos of a pattern I think she might like, but so far she has not given the "green light." I will love making one for her after she selects the pattern and fabric.